Cutting 3 way switch slot ?

Mx481james

I have pleaded with warmoth to please cut this slot to no avail. I ordered a extra light swamp ash split jazz master body in Mary Kay , roasted maple ,ebony fingerboard 24 3/4 conversion neck , All the hardware except the pickups. But still they say NO ! LOL
It's being routed with a strat three single coil setup and I want to run a five position switch , blade . I don't want to do a rotary switch. Years ago I trying to cut one of these and it didn't go well . I was talking to Spike at warmoth he suggested a plastic plate cover like on an Ibanez. He  sent me a link  where to get one. I really appreciate that but I don't want do use a cover plate .
Anyone have  good luck cutting one of these?  If so please share the  procedure you did , thank you.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.  Too many contradictions.

Your title is Cutting 3 way switch, but your text never references a 3 way switch, only a 5 way switch.

Still trying to understand.
In the builder, I just a rear route like that.

Do you mean pick guard?

Ahh you do.  It would be wise to include that in your post as it’s your question. Simple fix.
Order the splt jazz pick guard.
Send it off to any number of numerous custom pick guard makers (I’ve used pickguardian) with your desire.
I’m trusting you have already investigated and know there’s enough room in the rout.

Voila’

In looking at the top rout JM then looking at the reg JM guard and split JM guard, it appears:
You could place a blade switch in either the forward portion of the upper or lower horn.  This is not room for it in a strat or Tele position

So order the cheapest split guard and send it off as a template with specific instructions where you want that blade switch to be.

Thank you mark .
3 way blade switch and a 5 way have the same size slot . I don't want to send the pick guard out to be done by a custom builder . I'm purchasing the pickguard from warmoth unfortunately blank. I'm going to install the switch were there's room for it in the top rout .
Simply has anyone here cut a switch slot for a 3 or 5 way blade switch in a plastic pick guard ? If you have please help me with how you did it .

You need a template ideally for a blade switch or be able to make one.

Here is one way of doing it with a router, template and a guide bushing.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJE0_x8ug4s[/youtube]

Warning...Results of various suggested methods and safety etc will vary dependent on the skill of the person doing the job.

To do it manually without a router template.

Draw a line where the switch will be located.

Use an existing Strat pickguard or similar to mark the holes and the location of the slot if you have one. Or use a print out of one. https://warmoth.com/skin/images/PDFs/pickguards/StratPickguard.pdf do not use fit to page to make sure it is printed to actual size.

Mark the previous line for the screw holes and ends of the slot. Shown as x and y

______x____y________________y____x____

Make sure the pickguard is secured to a piece of wood with clamps or via its mounting holes with screws to prevent it spinning when drilling.

Drill the screw holes, marked x in the example above with a bit of the correct size for the screw holes.

Using a different size bit the same size that the slot needs to be drill two holes at y.

You can then either use a dremel on a router base and a straight edge against its base to rout between the holes y. Or drill a series of holes close together along the line between the points y, and then use a small saw blade and small files to finalise the slot.

I would suggest Strat's drill and files method, but using a metal Tele control plate as a template.

I've not done it but would agree simply because that's a teeny tiny router bit that's expensive and prone to breakage plus sending shrapnel flying.

Small drills are sturdier, cheaper, and more robust than small router bits.

Stradamania and Pete , perfect thank you .
I have a old pickguard that I can use as a template. I'll use the steel straight edge along one edge of it . So glad I asked here 👍

By the way how do you post a pic ? I use Android I, want to attachment and can't get a pic to load

I did one and used stratamania and fat pete's method, leaving the metal tele control plate mounted until the final cleanup with a small file.  Worked really well!

Mark will do , it's going in the lower front ..
Vetteman , glad you've had good results. I think I'll buy a cheap Tele control plate for the template .

Mx481james said:
Mark will do , it's going in the lower front ..
Vetteman , glad you've had good results. I think I'll buy a cheap Tele control plate for the template .

Perhaps it would be good to thank others who provided a solution to you?

Strat , if you read through all my post I think  I thanked everyone that's contributed including you.
Strat are you a grade school teacher    :eek:ccasion14:

I have been thanked and awarded a 'great idea'* star by Mr Stratamania, so I'm happy.

*Not actually my idea, just a sign of a functional memory, as I will have read it somewhere - possibly a thread of vetteman's by the sound of it.

Mx481james said:
Strat , if you read through all my post I think  I thanked everyone that's contributed including you.
Strat are you a grade school teacher    :eek:ccasion14:

Apologies I missed your earlier reply. You did indeed thank everyone  :eek:ccasion14:

I often read updated posts from the latest post so had not scrolled back far enough. It would be great if the forum used software that took you to latest unread in a thread.

No I am not a grade school teacher, though have worked as an instructor in the past.

I have a wonderful ex-wife that was a grade school teacher . She never missed a opportunity to correct me lol. I would take it in Good humor and smile . She'd say sorry occupational hazard.
  I truly appreciate everyone's help and of course your's stratamania thanks again everyone.

Mx481james said:
I have a wonderful ex-wife that was a grade school teacher . She never missed a opportunity to correct me lol. I would take it in Good humor and smile . She'd say sorry occupational hazard.
  I truly appreciate everyone's help and of course your's stratamania thanks again everyone.

Thanks...

I am laughing because my mother is a retired head teacher so I recognise that.  :laughing7:

Let us know how you get on with the project and the blade switch slot.

Back