Custom body...but it's a two piece?

B

BlackguardTele

Curious if I'm in the minority here: I just received after about 8 weeks of wait time the body I ordered, a vintage model swamp ash Telecaster body and it's the right shape and so forth, yeah but it's a composite of two pieces of ash, laminated together straight down the middle. I was assuming (and hence why I waited so long) the body would be a 1 piece. Not to say I'm crushed but definitely feel like this should be called out in the ordering process (and if it was please point me to it as I definitely missed it).

Warmoth bodies (and just about every guitar body these days) is two piece unless otherwise stated. I believe you can request a one-piece body for an up charge.

I was umm shopping around (until I realized it would only save me about $30, and I'd rather have a W for that). One place had stepped upcharges for 2 piece and 1 piece. Yup, standard bodies was 3piece. Even in common cheap stuff like basswood and poplar. The one piece upcharge was about 30% of the body.

2 piece is kind of the standard for high end guitar bodies, many high end solidpainted bodies will be 3, 4, even 5 pieces under the paint. I believe Warmoth will supply 1 piece as a special order when emailed. 2 piece has the benefit of being symmetrical. Early Fenders were often 2 piece asymmetrical - the join was on the piss or off to one side, it didn’t really matter

I gotta say I'm disappointed and I almost feel misled to some degree. Every part of the order is specified in exhaustive detail, the top route, the input jack, the neck shape, the pickup depth etc.  I would've happily paid an upcharge to receive a single piece of wood especially since Swamp Ash is getting harder and harder to find. The body I've received is decent. It's just not what I thought I was buying.

BlackguardTele said:
I gotta say I'm disappointed and I almost feel misled to some degree. Every part of the order is specified in exhaustive detail, the top route, the input jack, the neck shape, the pickup depth etc.  I would've happily paid an upcharge to receive a single piece of wood especially since Swamp Ash is getting harder and harder to find. The body I've received is decent. It's just not what I thought I was buying.
Then return it and special order a 1 piece.
It seems you are new to guitars as a 2-3 piece body for solid body electrics has been pretty standard since the early 60s.

Gotta agree with t here.  Your dog don’t hunt.  Don’t fret, you got something good. 

Of course it is a two piece that is the standard construction...1 piece falls under special criteria...

Good wood is paramount in achieving good tone. With over 30 years of sourcing behind us, we are well connected, and get the good stuff! We have a lot of wood on hand and are able to accommodate many special criteria, be it weight, grain, 1-piece size, etc. Give us a call. We'll see what we can do.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

Did you order a rare wood or one that would look better book-matched?

My Bubinga body is two piece but it'd take you days to notice. Given the wood rarity and that I had to email to even get it as a body material I knew it would be hard to come by. They responded with something to the effect of "Yes I spoke with the foreman and we have a body blank," which lead me to believe even more it wasn't going to be common.

Now that I've had time with mine I appreciate the very subtle uniformity of it as opposed a slight diagonal pattern that could have happened, but I did have a brief glimmer of that same feeling when I noticed. Here's to hoping you come around!

Just a swamp ash body by the sound of it, I’m guessing they want to make a blackguard if the username is a given. Those things were sloppy as anything, some of them were 1 piece I guess, most weren’t though. None of them were joined down the middle as far as I can tell anyway

I thought it was understood that 2-piece is standard and 1-piece will cost extra. Most of the guitars in the showcase are clearly 2-piece. The few that are 1-piece or more expensive.

Michael

One piece is definitely something you have to ask for like EVERYWHERE. It's not just availability (read price) - most people 1) don't care on painted guitars, and 2) prefer bookmatching (which requires a two piece body by definition) on guitars with visible grain showing. Find me a place where one piece isn't an upcharge and I'll show you a place where everybody pays the upcharge whether you specify one piece or not.

lol @ assuming 1-piece in this day and age

it's like assuming that long-awaited g n r (guns and rose) album was gonna be any good. pff, chinese democracy? more like taiwanese constitutional monarchy

BlackguardTele said:

I'm not trying to be rude to you, but these two webpages have been up for ages. The bottom one is where you go to get details about the Vintage Telecaster body. It's possibly where you started your Order. Notice the Side Bar on both pages, the first option in the More Information section?

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Options/BodyWoodOptions.aspx

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Telecaster/VintageTelecaster/

You shouldn't feel misled. 
A  two piece body is the norm.
(and it isn't a lamination)

Thanks for all the input. Tough to admit but based on all the feedback it seems the fault is mine here.  The "body builder" walks through everything except how many boards your body will be made from and I made a bad assumption. Lesson learned.

That said the body is quite nice overall and I've begun finishing it.

Back