Confused about 7/8" side jack route for Strat-Tele hybrid

Christian Jones

For the strat-tele hybrid body Warmoth only offers the 7/8" side jack. I'm confused as to what my options are for a jack and jack plate. I don't want to use the electro socket jack as I use a right-angle guitar cable which I've read will not work w/ that jack as it's too recessed for the plug to reach. 

Warmoth's "side jack options" link is broken when you google it but I just need to know if I *can* in fact use the football (or square - don't care which) jack plate on the Warmoth strat-tele hybrid body w/ the 7/8" side jack route - and if so, which jack do I need to go with the football (or square) plate for the 7/8" route?
Thanks for any help

The football style (more like a rugby ball really) will work. Square plates depending on where they are from and the body round over can be too big.

stratamania said:
The football style (more like a rugby ball really) will work. Square plates depending on where they are from and the body round over can be too big.

Thanks guys. Does anyone know which jack I'd need to fit the 7/8" mounting hole to go with the football plate? It seems most jacks require a 3/8" hole or something else, but I'm confused as to which jack will actually fit the 7/8" as when I research it that electro socket is about all that keeps coming up.. Lol I just don't get what I'm missing.. As I research it seems most recommend getting the 7/8" side jack mount, but what actual jack are these people using that fits the 7/8" mount?

FWIW i use an electrosocket on my tele with a right angle without issue.

Any standard jack will fit that 7/8 hole.

DieterDeux said:

Thanks Dieter. So for example this jack here says a 3/8" mounting hole is required but you're saying it'll still work on the 7/8 mount? Maybe they mean the jack requires a *minimum* mount hole of 3/8"..
https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/jacks/switchcraft-output-jack.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-03-gp&gclid=CjwKCAiAhbeCBhBcEiwAkv2cY6USJ96EjIEN0rUMUcvz2P2l_AscGsm8gPBfpRowp9Uv0aeD0ZkdsBoCC90QAvD_BwE

Here is what will fit - or something similar. Standard type of jacks.

https://www.warmoth.com/Football-Side-Jack-Plate-Chrome-P818C68.aspx

https://www.warmoth.com/Mono-Jack-By-Switchcraft-P122C68.aspx

While I've never held one of the hybrid bodies in my hands I've used the square jack plates on my warmoth jazzmaster and telecaster bodies which all had 7/8 holes, without a hitch.  Is there some leveling on the hybrid bodies that makes it not accept the square plates?  I remember reading about how the body edges were rolled bigger.  Which ones have the more rounded edges and can't accept the square plates?

Christian Jones said:
DieterDeux said:

So for example this jack here says a 3/8" mounting hole is required but you're saying it'll still work on the 7/8 mount? Maybe they mean the jack requires a *minimum* mount hole of 3/8"..

The 3/8" hole is just the opening for the 1/4" jack- you've got 1/16" thickness of metal all the way around. But the jack itself is bigger- my spare here is ~3/4". The actual hole drilled is 3/4" or 7/8". Tele standard (or at least mine) is 7/8" and the outer lip of the electrosocket is maybe a touch over 1" so that it doesn't fall in.

rick2 said:
While I've never held one of the hybrid bodies in my hands I've used the square jack plates on my warmoth jazzmaster and telecaster bodies which all had 7/8 holes, without a hitch.  Is there some leveling on the hybrid bodies that makes it not accept the square plates?  I remember reading about how the body edges were rolled bigger.  Which ones have the more rounded edges and can't accept the square plates?

It depends on which square plate you are using. Some are bigger than others.

stratamania said:

I think "football style" is an American coinage, but for you fine folks in the UK "rugby style" makes more sense, innit?

sports-in-america-26-638.jpg

rick2 said:

The intel you're missing is the edge radius of the body. If you have a body with a large edge radius, and you use a larger square jack, you can run into an issue where the jack plate stands out from the body along the edges....right where the screws are supposed to mount it. The Rugby Jack solves this because the mounting screws are in the center, and the plate only skirts the edge of the body for a very short distance.

As Stratamania mentioned: the 7/8" size of the hole doesn't really matter. Any of the jack plates will work with it. In fact, I would ALWAYS get the 7/8" rout, to give myself ample room for the jack and wiring. IMO, no point in making it needlessly crowded in there.

Bagman67 said:
stratamania said:

I think "football style" is an American coinage, but for you fine folks in the UK "rugby style" makes more sense, innit?

sports-in-america-26-638.jpg

That is exactly what I meant... but innit is only used in the main in places such as London but not by all Londoners. It is not broadly in use by all British people don't you know...

A premier league football (soccer) is a spherical ball designed for use with the feet rather than running around with it in the hands...

Toodle pip for now  :icon_thumright:

Thanks everyone for all the input. I understand now. This Warmoth strat-tele hybrid build I'm planning is my second shot at a dream baritone. The first dream Warmoth baritone I built years ago had me learn a couple things *not* to do this time around - namely the reverse headstock I got on the first one, so I've been planning *this* build down to the gnat's eyelash (thanks for the hip metaphor Aaron).

No, but a Rugby plate might be just perfect*

*I'm totally messing with you.  Football would be fine.

Back