Compound Neck Shape

EFSglass

I love the neck on my fender elite strat as it transitions from a c to d shape on the back.  C feels more full for cowboy chords and d is flatter for less work.

I know warmoth does compound radius on fretboard but do they offer compound neck profile?

If not, why?

If not, let’s start a list of people interested and see if it’s something they would start offering?

This neck profile question is a personal choice, so everyone will have different preferences.

I found the Warmoth "Standard thin" is part-way between a "C" and a "D" profile.  Although I understand Fender's concept becomes more "C" shaped near the nut, which is a entirely different concept, the Warmoth Standard Thin isn't that far away from a C shape.  In my opinion if you are happy with the profile thickness, choose the right radius and the nut width that best suits your hand size, you shouldn't have any issues with playability.

When I first ordered the Warmoth neck (prior to ever having one in my hand), I was disappointed that they didn't offer a precisely replicated Fender "C" shape, but now after ordering a large number of necks, the Standard Thin is what I consider the ideal neck shape (for me).  Of course it may be because I become used to it.

I recommend Musikraft in cases where Warmoth isn’t checking all the boxes on a custom Fender-style neck, particularly with back contours which have nicely held up for me when checked with calipers. Or something like having the option of ordinary white fretboard dots. Normally wouldn’t shout out a competitor on someone’s site but this is the unofficial forum.

Alternatively, you could probably grab a fatback and reshape it yourself, though I’d find out about truss rod depth before doing anything too extreme. And obviously forget your warranty.

Also check out Sound Guitar works. Calling may work best but I do get email responses. They have one compound profile I believe and might be open to accommodating you specifically.

The Fender Elite I tried did have a pretty nice neck to it now that I think about it. Wouldn't mind getting the specs and seeing a profile gauge of that, I'll look online for it at some point, I didn't realize that it got flatter

Looking at my Warmoth neck with "Standard Thin" profile, it makes me think it actually HAS a compound C - D back profile as standard. 
Maybe Warmoth sales department would be able to confirm if you ask them.

jay4321 said:
I recommend Musikraft in cases where Warmoth isn’t checking all the boxes on a custom Fender-style neck, particularly with back contours which have nicely held up for me when checked with calipers. Or something like having the option of ordinary white fretboard dots. Normally wouldn’t shout out a competitor on someone’s site but this is the unofficial forum.

Alternatively, you could probably grab a fatback and reshape it yourself, though I’d find out about truss rod depth before doing anything too extreme. And obviously forget your warranty.

Years ago, I got a Musikraft neck that was described as "soft V to C, 0.87-0.95" that I love.  It's about as big as I think I want to go.  I just wish I hadn't Floyded the guitar and had put on a regular nut and trem.  Seems like a real challenge to "unFloyd" a guitar.

Back