Comics, anyone?

hannaugh

Master Member
Does anyone read comics?  If so, which ones?  Can anyone recommend some?

I like Conan for nostalgic reasons (I loved those movies as a kid, and I was Red Sonja for Halloween when I was 4), and sometimes I buy graphic novels.  I really like the medium, but I'm finding that there are not that many series that I'm all that interested in because so much of it is superheroes.  Superheroes are fun, but I find I'm a lot more into sci fi and historical fiction.  My favorite is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, since that is both of those combined. 

I was reading Hellboy for a while because I like the characters, but it got a little too gross for me.  I was also reading Doctor Who, but for some reason there was a major hickup at my local store and they went from the end of one story to the middle of another, and they haven't had a new one in a while.  So I'm just reading Conan now, and I'm looking for another series.  I really like Mouse Guard, but I can't find the back issues and I haven't broken down and ordered them yet. 

Oh, and also, the artwork is really important to me.  I like interesting artwork, so basically if it is very distinctive or just gorgeous, I will probably like it.  I don't like the Japanese style (you know, the girls with the gi-normous dewey eyes and skinny twig bodies with the balloons boobs and the guys with porcupines for hair), and I don't like the style of a lot of the American stuff from the 70s because that stuff all looks exactly the same. 

Any ideas?

I like the more "serious" comics that are still larger-than-life. Frank Miller's three big Batman works (The Dark Knight Returns, The Dark Knight Stikes Again and Batman: Year Zero) are amazing and sit firmly on a shelf here. I re-read them every 2-3 months or so. I'm currently looking for a decently priced The Killing Joke. Also, predictably, I really want to get Watchmen but there are only translated copies availiable here at the moment.

It seems like I especially like stories about the reurning heroes - Kingdom Come, the Dark Knight, Watchmen etc.

My current reading is more centered on webcomics: Rice Boy, Shi Long Pang et al. I've written more about this at kbospeak so I won't go on about it here, but webcomics have an enormous potential that is slowly being realised.

Not really into comics, but I like to read novels. Really gory, fantasy type, sarcastic wry humor type of stuff. Picturing it seems to me way more awesome then seeing it on a page.

Well, it's just a different taste. With pictures on a page you can do a thousand things that can't be done with words - and vice versa. I am constantly reading a book (currently "Dhalgren" by Samuel R Delaney) and have been for something like 18 years now. Books and comics complement each other, but it's much more difficult to find good comics than good books.

I've got a pretty decent collection of Heavy Metal magazines.  A lot of weird and interesting comics in there.  Other than that, I'm all about comic strips, such as Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, and some online ones like Sinfest or Penny Arcade.

Way back in the day some friends and I were into a comic called "The Jam" by an artist named Bernie Mireault. It's about a "Working Class Hero" named Gordon Kirby. If you can find it, you will LOVE it. :)

Anything with Christopher Shy's name on it.  Amazing Artwork.

Second Stage Turbine Blade / Good Apollo / The Amory Wars.  the comics that the frontman of Coheed and Cambria authored that serves as the story behind all their music.

Some friends recommend Neil Gaiman's stuff.

If you're even remotely interested in Manga you should check out Rurouni Kenshin.  It's long but its good.  Although I found the fan translated scans better than the official translation.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!  This is good, I'm glad there are some other comics fans here.

Xplorervoodoo said:
I've got a pretty decent collection of Heavy Metal magazines.  A lot of weird and interesting comics in there.  Other than that, I'm all about comic strips, such as Calvin and Hobbes, Foxtrot, and some online ones like Sinfest or Penny Arcade.

I have got to find some Heavy Metal somewhere.  It's been recommended to me by so many people in the makeup industry as being inspiring for monster and sci-fi design. 

Also, I've read most of Calvin & Hobbes.  That's my favorite strip ever.  My fiance loves it too, he has every book. 

I think it's definitely a medium that appeals more to people with a visual arts leaning.  I love opening up a well illustrated graphic novel and getting pages and pages of brilliant design.  It's like eye candy + a good story.  That's what I love about the new Conan the Cimmerian series; the artwork is absolutely amazing.  The guy who does the color in that one is very talented.  Well, the guy who draws them is great too, but I really love how the color is done.

I enjoy the occasional comic but the only series (if it can be called that) that I've really been able to get in to is Steve Purcell's Sam and Max comics, I've been meaning to try a few 'more serious' series but never get round to it as I tend to just end up buying more of JRR Tolkien's work (of which there is a frightening amount available thanks to his son's efforts).

hannaugh said:
Thanks for the ideas, guys!  This is good, I'm glad there are some other comics fans here.

Xplorervoodoo said:

I have got to find some Heavy Metal somewhere.  It's been recommended to me by so many people in the makeup industry as being inspiring for monster and sci-fi design. 

I'm surprised you can't find it.  Although they are based in Quebec somewhere I think...  I'm pretty sure you can subscribe online to them now, not sure if that would be something you're interested in or not.  Barring that, any good comic shop can order them in.  It has definitely opened me up to some interesting painters and comic artists.  They had an issue a couple months ago dedicated to H.P. Lovecraft...   :icon_thumright:

The Far Side.

Gary Larson is a genius. Too bad it's over.

EDIT: I believe some examples are in order...
the-far-side-comic.jpg

FarSideTarzan2.gif

Farside.jpg

I read the online comics a bit.. number one fav is goats  www.goats.com

least I could do is great too.. www.licd.com

:hello2:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Transmetropolitan.

It was only published for five years, but you can still find collections of it. It's pretty damned good.

Hunter S. Thompson meets cyberpunk.

Back