CITES, Mahogany, and you...

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
This quietly happened yesterday.
The long read: https://www.fws.gov/sites/default/f...anges to CITES Species Listings 1-13-2023.pdf
The short read: https://www.decorativehardwoods.org/news/new-cites-listing-includes-african-mahogany

Warmoth discovered this new regulation by pure chance just a couple days ago (despite having signed up for every CITES email list available), and yesterday we added Mahogany and Padouk to our "for domestic shipment only" list. I imagine many other manufacturers will be affected as well, and the majority of them don't even know it yet.

sucks but ngl kinda looking forward to TGP filling its diaper with salt and End Of Days rhetoric lol

I have to agree it's kinda fun to see it go down. I lobbed the same knowledge-grenade over there, so we will see what happens. There's room here in my foxhole for anyone else who wants to watch...

▪ Handroanthus spp., Roseodendron spp., Tabebuia spp. (Poui, Trumpet trees) with
annotation #17 (logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, plywood, and transformed wood) –Inclusion in
Appendix II delayed by 24 months, i.e. until November 25, 2024
▪ Rhodiola spp. (Roseroot) with annotation #2 (all parts and derivatives except: a)
seeds and pollen; and b) finished products packaged and ready for retail trade)
▪ Afzelia spp. with annotation #17 (logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, plywood, and
transformed wood) – Only African populations are included in the Appendices
▪ Dipteryx spp. with annotation #17 (logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, plywood, and
transformed wood) –Inclusion in Appendix II delayed by 24 months, i.e. until November 25, 2024
▪ Pterocarpus spp. with annotation #17 (logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, plywood, and
transformed wood) (Except Pterocarpus santalinus included in Appendix II with annotation #7) – Only
African populations are included in the Appendices
▪ Khaya spp. with annotation #17 (logs, sawn wood, veneer sheets, plywood, and
transformed wood) – Only African populations are included in the Appendices

For necks, I found that Goncalo sounds like mahogany. To the extent I can tell. Never though about a substitute for African Mahogany. Need to think about that, though I'm a big fan of alder which is plentiful. Even though I can get mahogany, need to look at linden or tulip? Certainly cheaper.

Last edited:
Not sure how many guitars are made with African Mahogany. For example, I believe Gibson uses Honduran Mahogany from Central and South America for their necks.

Bill, tgo

Not sure how many guitars are made with African Mahogany. For example, I believe Gibson uses Honduran Mahogany from Central and South America for their necks.

Bill, tgo

A ton of builders, including Gibson, have relied on African Mahogany for decades. If it doesn't outright say "Honduran" in the specs, than chances are it's African Mahogany. Honduran is mostly reserved for boutiques and custom shops.

As a rule of thumb, African hog is largely used as it’s cheaper than Honduran hog by most commercial builders.

sucks but ngl kinda looking forward to TGP filling its diaper with salt and End Of Days rhetoric lol

I have to agree it's kinda fun to see it go down. I lobbed the same knowledge-grenade over there, so we will see what happens. There's room here in my foxhole for anyone else who wants to watch...

I love seeing the collective head explode over there! Lol.

My foxhole here in FLA. keeps filling up with water.......... lol. I may join you!

We USA guys have nothing to worry about. :cool:.

Sorry rest of the world!

I love seeing the collective head explode over there! Lol.

My foxhole here in FLA. keeps filling up with water.......... lol. I may join you!

We USA guys have nothing to worry about. :cool:.

Sorry rest of the world!

Just mention how capacitor values are meaningless and tone knobs don't do anything useful. Then dive into the bunker and wait for the explosions :LOL:

Also, it certainly didn't take very long for the claws and teeth. Barely halfway through page 2 and the slap-fest began already 🤣

Oh, and Warmoth, have you ever considered joining some guitar trade organizations? 👍🤣😉

If any good comes of it, overseas manufacturers will actually state the true species of their "mahogany"

Back