Chips and nicks during a build.

Frankie Chestnuts

This thought came up as I was posting on the "Just Out of the Box" forum. 

I have a new Tele build I've been working on.  This is my first Tele build.  Neck and body are both Warmoth.  Nitro finish from the great folks at MJT.  Not not my first MJT.  I've had two Strat builds with them.  One of the things I like best is their incredibly thin nitro finish.  One of the issues with their thin finish is if you look at them the wrong way, they chip or crack. 

Here's my question:  During a build, do you guys have issues with chip and nick here and there?  Somehow after it's put together and 'official', I don't have much of an issue with a little bump or chip here and there. That just adds to the character.  But it would be nice to have a pristine guitar at the start. 

You guys have put together many more builds than I have.  What are your thoughts?

Frankie Chestnuts said:
Here's my question:  During a build, do you guys have issues with chip and nick here and there?   

It is possible for that to happen. To avoid work methodically and carefully.

Frankie Chestnuts said:
  You guys have put together many more builds than I have.  What are your thoughts?

To avoid work methodically and carefully or use a more durable finish.

Thin nitro is not especially durable and the wood will not breathe in any case. It may sound romantic in some way but it isn't true. Wood cannot breathe.

As Stratamania says, the only thing standing between your pristine finish and assembly dings is your attention to detail. Think ahead and take your time! I’ve had my share and learned from them, I agree that they hurt more than dings from playing and handling them after assembly is complete.

In addition to being careful and meticulous, I also have a clean neoprene surface to do assembly work on and a 'setup pillow' for holding the neck when stringing it up etc.  I also cover the guitar when drilling / soldering. 

I understand all about working carefully. Be meticulous and think ahead and you’ll end up with a perfect product.

Not my question.

I also know nitro finish doesn’t really matter.

Not my point.

If you chip an edge during a build, is it a big deal for you?  Or do you just call it an “early road scar”?

Frankie Chestnuts said:
I understand all about working carefully. Be meticulous and think ahead and you’ll end up with a perfect product.

Not my question.

I also know nitro finish doesn’t really matter.

Not my point.

If you chip an edge during a build, is it a big deal for you?  Or do you just call it an “early road scar”?

In the words of the illustrious Sheryl Crow, the first cut is the deepest. On my most recent build I chipped a bit of paint while fitting the neck into the pocket, and it hurt; BUT it made all the future dents and dings far less painful.

I would either fix it if it was fixable or accept it and zen like I would move on. I would not call it a road scar as that is not what it is.

Everyone has their own tastes and so on in terms of worn in jeans and relics, road worn, etc. I personally would not buy a relic or the like but here is one of my 80s guitars I have had since then with a real road scar... I preferred it when it was new...

Hamer1 by stratamania, on Flickr

I had a chip when my Warmoth body arrived (see sig) I do not recommend you take my approach.

You're gonna get chips and scratches at some point anyway. If you get them while building then they're all a part of the process.

Frankie Chestnuts said:

Ah.  Thanks for explaining yourself.  If it's a customer guitar, it's a very big deal.  If it's mine, not so much. 

I consider any blem I create to be a lesson learned and memory made...but it still drives me crazy.

What really gets though is the stuff folks can't see like shoddy wiring. Knowing that I could do better I've rewired a few of my guitars as my skills have improved over time. Nothing wrong with the original wiring, I just know it wasn't great.

I keep a roll of anti-mutilation film (sometimes called "frisket film) to cover pristine finishes on bodies that I know are going to get handled a lot. It's that stuff like you see on laptop or phone displays to keep the surface from getting scratched or abraded.

Mooncaster_Body_Sm_zpsdrkdyo9l.jpg

It's just a clear film with a low-tack adhesive that you peel off when you're done. It's not foolproof - you still can't bang the thing around - but it works pretty good if you're a meticulous handler.

I did my own nitro finish on my one Warmoth build.
Just about everything went perfectly through I don't know how many coats (12? 15?) and three weeks of cure time, after all the wet sanding, just prior to my final polishing phase--I set it down on my becks, right on top of a screw that I had absent-mindedly left there.

It was actually pretty small, something I can easily drop fill, but its on the back, right next to where the strap button is, so not all that huge a a deal.

Plus, I knew what I was getting into with a nitro finish. If I wanted something tougher I would have had Warmoth do that part.

I'm pretty good keeping the body clean.  (But I like the film idea).  I have issues with the neck pocket when fitting the neck, and inserting string and tuner ferrules. 

Back