Building a "unique-sounding" JM guitar?

t-drifter

Hi Everyone,

I have recently joined the forum. It's a pleasure to be here, and I look forward to learning a lot of new things from this incredible online community.

I'm very excited about, and planning on building a chambered Jazz Master type guitar. Note: I am going for the JM look, but sound will totally not be "traditional JM".

I like some extra twang and extra jangle/spank/sparkle to my rhythm, but yet enough punch and growl for lead-work (usually with fuzz and tube overdrive)...if that's even possible  :-\  Also, I'm not into "heavy metal", so that might help narrow things down a bit.

I like the idea of coupling those ideal "sparkly/jangly/twangy" tones with the "airiness and woodiness" of a chambered body.

Music-wise: I like the tones of early Velvet Underground, Beau Brummels, and even some Electric Prunes. I would prefer to put TV Jones pickups on the JM body. I do the occasional spaghetti Western and some early 90s shoe-gazer stuff, though requiring extra gear and effects to "size-up".

So...

Here's the main question low-downs:

Which chambered woods would compliment the following pickup combinations well?

>> These are my guesstimates based on reading other forums, and asking questions at the Warmoth shop >>

1) Body: chambered maple core, maple top. This would almost be similar to a Rickenbacker as their bodies are all maple. (Though RIC's chambers are a little different).

2) Body: chambered mahogany, maple top. This would be more like a Gibson or Gretsch style guitar, be it a Duo Jet or Pro Jet.

3) Body: chambered korina (black or white), and maple top. Again, this would be more like a Gibson (Flying V/Explorer).

4) Body: chambered alder or ash core, maple top (kinda more towards a Strat/Tele type tone-wood 'sound') Dunno???

>>> Likewise, I could put it another way >>>

Which tone woods (chambered) would be suitable for the following pickups:

1) TVJ HiLo trons (TVJ HT Lo-output neck, TVJ HT hi-output bridge)?

2) TVJ Classic Filtertron and HiLo (TVJ Classic bridge, TVJ HT hi-output neck)?

3) TVJ Classic Filtertron bridge and TVJ Magnatron neck?

And that's just for the body, then we have the neck:

1) Maple neck with rosewood fretboard?

2) Maple neck with ebony fretboard?

3) Maple neck with bubinga fretboard?

4) Mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard?

5) Mahogany neck with ebony fretboard?

...whew!    :eek:  did I list enough? (joke)

...these are so many things to consider for the project I'm planning to do. ???

All advise, experiences, and recommendations are greatly appreciated or all else otherwise also appreciated.

Again, thanks in advance and I really look forward to your replies and :help:

Cheers,

t-drifter

P.S. The inspiration here is "twang, jangle, sparkle, a good bit of growl, airiness and woodiness". (if that's even possible)  :icon_scratch:

Not possible. -You'll have to build multiple guitars.  :icon_jokercolor:

I would keep to maple/ash/alder to do what you are hoping. The chambered body is going to fatten it up all on its own, so to keep it tight around the edges, I'd suggest sticking to brighter tone-woods. If ya want a dark colored fretboard (-meaning can't live with maple), go with ebony; it is tight-n-bright (and feels awesome, I might add).

Ya didn't ask for it, but I'm gonna share my $.02 on hardware selection: shop the "your choice trem" section of the showcase. The traditional JM/Jag bridge and tailpiece are way over-engineered and not the greatest when it comes to function. Put in a Strat 6-screw or a Wilky! -Anything would serve you better than the JM/Jag set-up. -My HUGE opinion.  :laughing7:

Welcome to the 'boards, and good luck! Show us whatcha decide on when ya start puttin' it together.

Back