Bring back 8 string bass necks

And maybe even make a headstock option similar to the ‘65 12 string.

Bring back that low-end jangle (would you call that ‘jongle’?) please!

8-string necks went away and are unlikely to return for several reasons:
- Schaller discontinued the bridge
- Demand was among the lowest of any product
- The neck blanks were very specialized

I've been researching a build for an 8-string bass lately.  All I can come up with right now is using an import 5-string bass kit as a base (sorry) and a Chinese knock-off bridge off of eBay.  Plug the holes in the headstock and drill for the repositioned tuners, replace the nut with a blank and cut my own slots.

Or just suck it up and buy the one from ESP (not a fan of the Schecter's body shape).  Just not too enamored of spending $700+ for what's probably going to be a one-trick pony in my collection, which means any build I do would have to come in at way less than that to make any sense.

I too was looking into an 8 string bass.  When I saw the bridge discontinued, I shelved the idea.  What’s commercially available doesn’t suit what I want.

NedRyerson said:
I've been researching a build for an 8-string bass lately.  All I can come up with right now is using an import 5-string bass kit as a base (sorry) and a Chinese knock-off bridge off of eBay.  Plug the holes in the headstock and drill for the repositioned tuners, replace the nut with a blank and cut my own slots.

Or just suck it up and buy the one from ESP (not a fan of the Schecter's body shape).  Just not too enamored of spending $700+ for what's probably going to be a one-trick pony in my collection, which means any build I do would have to come in at way less than that to make any sense.

I was chatting on another forum about this conundrum, and he helped talk it through since he'd played an 8-string before. His opinion was that, while it's nice and unique, it's not very versatile.  So unless my plan is to be both rhythm guitar (of sorts) AND bass at the same time for more than just one or two songs, redirect the money elsewhere.  Sort of like the bass+guitar double-neck; an interesting if impractical idea.

So I redirected my money elsewhere because I found a Conklin Groove Tools 4-string suddenly come up for sale. Given how rare the GT series is nowadays (anyone who owns a Conklin doesn't sell their Conklin), I had to jump on that one.

J-Bones said:

You forgot "good taste" and "harmonizers"

J-Bones said:

When I reached out to Schaller a year or so ago, they told me they'd discontinued the bridge because nobody was making necks.... :doh:

I've been wanting an 8-string Pbass for ten years but kept putting it off until I had the money and an excuse.... now I can't find any parts  :sad:

I can't even find any NOS ones, for them, ABM or Hipshot. You almost wonder if someone has a cave full of 8-string parts that they're sleeping on, Smaug-like.

The Lurker said:
You almost wonder if someone has a cave full of 8-string parts that they're sleeping on, Smaug-like.

yeah its called the landfill lol

nah i'm just jk joking

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but if you’re prepared to cut out your own headstock shape then you could always go for the 5 string paddle neck

I have a $100 Cozart 12-string taking up space on the rack to remind me that, No, even though I love the idea, I don't play it, and it keeps me from spending $1200 for a Warmoth 12-string electric.

Bass player in Cheap Trick plays a 12 string bass (4 courses of three strings). When I saw them just after Covid, it sounded good.

Last edited:
Nope, I guess at the time they were desperate to fill the seats. Things must be back to normal.

Back