Bought an amazing amp stand

fdesalvo

XHugU22.jpg

Ha!  Well, not exactly.  Being so impressed with the Studio Chorus 210, I decided to expand my quest for it's bigger brother.  Behold the Classic Chorus 212!  Sporting 2x75w power sections feeding a pair of massively-magneted 12" drivers. Very JBL.  It's everything the little guy is but, so much more.  More depth.  More projection.  More stereo width.  More! 

After receiving the amp with an intermittent input jack, I began exploratory surgery shortly after de-bar-smoking the tolex.  It wasn't all rainbows and unicorns, though.  I have been forced to use a butane iron and in a careless moment, misdirected the exhaust port and roasted one of the gray push-button caps on the bright switch.  Oh, well, a grand excuse to buy new parts! 

I found a few cold solder joints and some weathered potentiometers, which I have replaced.  Also replaced the power cord due to a snapped ground lug at the plug end.  I decided to remove all old heat sink compound and apply a high performance compound, which will last a good 8 years.  I'm waiting on the monster filter caps to arrive, so I can button her up and carry on with life.  Pretty impressed with the build quality and choice of materials.  I can see why these teal-striped Peavey's are so desirable.

Enjoy!

Offending cold solder joints at inputs
In086EE.jpg

UaxKtJi.jpg

Massive filter caps
ZSVMQjN.jpg

What??  All ICs, but one are SOCKETED.
RrXCobZ.jpg

HvuO82w.jpg

Power transistors nestled into a heatsink and massive heat extractors.  These were all disassembled, cleaned, then coated with new heat sink compound.  Apply as little as possible.  Apply a thin coat to one surface, mate both together, disassemble, then wipe one surface clean and reassemble.
TBP8APH.jpg

Old stuff..
0UJseLj.jpg

t7HRSjl.jpg

UDtsnvY.jpg

New stuff
3tQI8Vw.jpg

Better together
StwzzdB.jpg

Pots
FONZsG7.jpg

I'm surprised to see a Klixon thermal switch on the power transistor heat sink. Not the level of detail that I'd expect out of a Peavey, especially when it's not something that anybody can see/hear/appreciate.

Cagey said:
I'm surprised to see a Klixon thermal switch on the power transistor heat sink. Not the level of detail that I'd expect out of a Peavey, especially when it's not something that anybody can see/hear/appreciate.

This is exactly why I love your posts. Goood eye.

I love those old Peavey amps! I have a few myself that I've rebuilt like you did here. Just used one last night (a Bandit 65) at band practice.
They have a tone that's different but good in my opinion. Definitely not tube-ish but I do like it. Plus I love those scorpion speakers.

I would also echo what others have said that they're surprisingly well built on the inside. Very thick PCBs, socketed op-amps, etc. Too bad they're so heavy though...

Back