Body Blanks

rauchman

Greetings,

I have an itch to make another guitar, however, I don't want something standard for a body shape.

Does anyone have experience with body blanks that come prerouted from W?

I'm saddened that options for a 24 fret neck are not available, or rear route switching options other than something like a Strat.

Would a jig saw work well for cutting the body? I don't have room for a standing band saw, so if not the jig saw, what would you recommend to cut the body?

I have made a bunch of guitars and if a jig saw is all you have access to then, it can work. I would highly recommend looking around your area for a "maker space" that might let you rent shop time for an hour or two to use their bandsaw. The next major tool I highly recommend is an oscillating belt/round sander for tuning the shape after you have cut it out. I have this one:

Beyond that you will need a router for any round overs and cavity routes. Files and rasps and an assortment of 100-320 grit sand paper will let you contour as needed and get it sanded up for finish.

I built my Albert Lee style build from a pre-routed blank.

I did the strat rear route option but with only the blade switch hole, drilled the knob holes myself which is pretty easy to do.

You can certainly use a jigsaw, but if you can get access to a band saw that would be a much better option. Even a cheap benchtop bandsaw. A couple of years ago I got a WEN bandsaw on Amazon for ~$200 I believe, and while not a "professional grade" tool in any capacity it allows a lot more control than a jigsaw and I've done a couple of bodies plus other projects with it. Like supertrooper said, see if you have a makerspace around though.

At the very least I'd highly recommend getting a cheaper piece of wood to practice on before touching the Warmoth routed blank. I went to a local hardwood lumber yard and custom ordered a 8 foot board of 8"x1.75" poplar which gave me two body banks, all for around $60.

I remember seeing a demo of a Festool jigsaw on Youtube a while ago, cutting through thick counter tops at 90 degrees. They might be worth investigating as a possibility.

Great info....thanks

I've searched for a local "maker space" and nada, unless I travel to NYC or Brooklyn, which.....no

I'm going to look into options for a small band saw and see how it goes

I started my body cutting journey with a Ryobi battery-powered jigsaw. It works. Just a colossal pain because it takes forever. But it's less frightening than a band saw. ;)

If looking for a band saw, though, go as big as you can (don't cheap out on "small"). Mine's a 14" and I still have some difficulty with the throat depth depending on how wacky the body design is. I know the recommendation out there is to also go with as high a resaw height as possible, but that started getting into the 4-digit price range. So mine's a Wen 14" and its max resaw height is 6". But I'm also not at a point of cutting droptops, so it's been perfectly fine for churning out bodies and other small woodworking projects over the last year and a half.

I've spoken with, and traded emails with Brandon at W. He's been fantastic, and I'll be able to get the blank with 24 fret accommodation, and also LP toggle switch routing in the position of their Tele / Regal. Woohoo! And Black Korina no less.

Thanks Brandon!

I've spoken with, and traded emails with Brandon at W. He's been fantastic, and I'll be able to get the blank with 24 fret accommodation, and also LP toggle switch routing in the position of their Tele / Regal. Woohoo! And Black Korina no less.

Thanks Brandon!

What exactly does 24 fret accommodation mean. Is it a shifted neck pocket for a particular 24 fret neck?

Pretty sure they just mean the shifted neck PU route to make room for the additional frets.

Sure, if he is using a neck with the 24 fret neck extension. Though when he says 24 fret neck and omits extension, implying a neck with no overhang and 24 frets, then of course, the neck pocket would need to shift.

@rauchman can you clarify, please?

A bandsaw sure would be handy, if you are using a jigsaw there is always the possibility of the blade flexing away from perpendicular particularly in tight corners. That is where the spindle/belt sander becomes handy to finalize the shape and keep it true.

Definitely practice on scrap wood first - you can make a cheap blank from Home Depot S4S poplar boards glued to your desire thickness and length.

So for a 24 fret Warmoth neck which has frets 22–24 on an overhang with standard neck pocket position.

About that..I ordered a bass neck with a 24 fret extension and found that if this fretboard extension just juts out from the end of the neck without resting on anything, the notes on it sound weak. A 720 mod like they do for guitars would be a good solution, but I’m not sure if this is available for bass?

About that..I ordered a bass neck with a 24 fret extension and found that if this fretboard extension just juts out from the end of the neck without resting on anything, the notes on it sound weak. A 720 mod like they do for guitars would be a good solution, but I’m not sure if this is available for bass?

I do not represent Warmoth, but that information can be found before placing an order at:

I am not aware of any 720 mod option for bass. Gecko and Bass VI necks are 24 fret necks but only fit their respective bodies.

Yeah - if you're even thinking about making a neck, you crossed the threshold for routing a body looooooooooong long ago.

I'm finally getting to that point of starting necks. If not this year, then next year. I'm 100% positive that my first several will be horrid, just like the bodies. I've made probably close to 10 bodies by now and I've made mistakes on each one! 😂😭

Yeah You talked me into it. I have a mess of poplar from a tree we dropped 3-4 years ago Was cheaper to have it sawn up than shredded, and it'd be cool to have one keepable project from it. I was kinda scared about screwing it up but might as well get those screwups out of the way

I wouldn't normally consider poplar for a neck but it has been done, and I was planning on using it for a carbon fiber reinforced 20-22" scale truss rodless set neck wee vee or something ticking several of those boxes. I was thinking of running carbon fiber from the nut to the pickup cavity.

Back