"Black Pearl" DIY finish hardtail strat

LushTone

Here's my finished project that I started so very long ago. My favorite strat tonewoods in a very simple form with good hardware and pickups. It has awesome tone and presence acoustically as well as plugged in.

Body:
One piece Alder Warmoth Strat
DIY India Ink/Minwax Wipe on Satin Poly
Universal rout
Hipshot bridgeplate with Callaham bent steel saddles
Fralin Twangmaster (Neck, slightly under a Blues Special wind)
Fralin Sunbucker (new pickup not on their website at this time)
3-way selector, master volume, tone & tone

Neck:
Quartersawn roasted Maple, Indian Rosewood board (Warmoth Pro)
Standard Thin
1 11/16" nut width
9.5" straight radius
25.5" scale
Raw, Finely Sanded
22 stainless steel 6100 frets, Plek'd & dressed by Mike Lull
Hand-rolled fingerboard edges
Gotoh 510 21:1 auto-locking tuners

Weight: 7lbs 2oz
Setup and electronics by A Sharp Music Co. (and their trusty employee yours truly :laughing7:)

In regards to the Fralins, they are awesome. The Twangmaster is all strat in tone, but noiseless. After asking Lindy a good match for the bridge position, he recommended the new Sunbucker. He designed this pickup with Alnico slugs instead of steel slugs embedded in an Alnico bar like most humbuckers. The idea is for a thicker and noiseless single coil/humbucker hybrid. It has clarity and output closer to a single coil, and tightens up more than a normal humbucker under higher gain. This is great for my Rivera with EL34s, which already has girth. Fralin is a true innovator with pickups, great guy too!

Attachments

• IMG_0631 (1).JPG
    IMG_0631 (1).JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,264
  • IMG_0628 (1).JPG
    IMG_0628 (1).JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 795
Looks great. I too like the simple form and will do something similar but with a 7/8 strat.
How about some soundsamples from the guitar and those pickups?

Logrinn said:
Looks great. I too like the simple form and will do something similar but with a 7/8 strat.
How about some soundsamples from the guitar and those pickups?

Thanks! I might do that sometime

Back