Birthday coming up in a couple of months. Looking for something to ask for

Axkoa

• So my birthday is coming round the corner towards me and I'm looking for something to ask my parents for it. My current rig is this so far:
    • Kramer Striker Custom 211
    • 2 cheapish Acoustics
    • M-Audio 2 Input Audio Interface
    • Guitar Rig 5 Demo

You can probably tell that I'm definitely only just starting out with guitar, but after a couple of months I've been really loving it. Now I need to think about what to ask my parents for my birthday.

A couple of things I have in mind were (not all these things together):
    • Some money for my first amp, more than likely a Marshall CODE 25W
    • A new humbucker (probably a GFS one) for my Guitar
    • Some small pedals

I was just wondering what else could I add to a list like this? I'm thinking the Marshall amp is probably my best bet considering it would be my first amp and it would just be really useful for me because of the fact that I wouldn't really need any pedals. But I just thought about asking you guys about this before I've made a decision.

Another point to consider as well is if I would go for the 25W version of the amp or the 50W version. I have no idea about the wattage in amps besides the fact that they sound louder the higher the wattage. I mainly ever play in a small room downstairs in our house. Would the 25W or 50W version suit this better.

I'm just looking for suggestions as well as what I've gotten down as to what I could go for. Just so everyone knows I mainly play metal.

Thanks everyone!

You shouldn't need more than the 25W model, and seeing as you play metal (as do i  :party07: ) you'll be able to get more breakup (distortion) at lower volumes, which is good for playing at home. The 25W one will still be plenty loud enough for your needs, too. My Marshall MG 15W micro stack through a single 8" cab is loud enough to shake half the house :headbang:

Yeah, I definitely think that a 25W is the way to go. Just wondering if you can name any other amps that are around the $300 mark that are good for metal?

The Blackstar ID series are pretty good, the 30W is $350
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/blackstar-id30-1x12-30w-programmable-guitar-combo-amp-with-effects/h88937
And the 15W is around $230 i think.
They sound pretty good for the price. Don't know how they compare to the Marshall CODE, cause i haven't heard them yet. There's also the Orange Crush series of amps that have improved, the 35W is $260.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/orange-amplifiers-crush35rt-35w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp
There's quite q few good choices out there.

I got a Blackstar 15W, similar to the Code series from Marshall. Plays insanely loud (or am I getting old?).

It sounds awesome. And perhaps you might know that some metal players use Blackstar. Gus G for instance.

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Timmsie beat me to it.
:icon_thumright:

You can't go wrong with Blackstar. They were created by some guys who left Marshall, so they know what they're doing, and yeah, Gus G. uses them. My guitar tech sold his marshall silver jubilee and jcm 800 (both from the 80's) and only uses blackstar now.

The Marshall CODE series is pretty much their modelling amp series. Do you think the sound would be degraded compared to some of the other amps, like the Blackstar and the Orange because it's a modelling amp?

Not necessarily, from what I've read from other people, it's a pretty good sound. The only people I've seen complaining about them, are people who own the real thing and are just being nit-picky. If possible, i'd try to play one at your local music store if possible, because it comes down to what you like. For instance, most people in metal like the peavey 6505, and it's their go-tp amp, but i had one briefly and absolutely hated it. Too much top end, and i couldn't disk in a good tone, so i moved on to a dual rec. Everyone's ears are different.

I'll see if I can try play one in store before my birthday comes 'round. I live in Australia so we haven't got the best choice of guitar and music gear. But I'll go to a couple stores and test out some of those amps.

Awesome, yeah that would be your best bet. Get what sounds good to you. My friend plays through a Fender Princeton Reverb with a Metal Muff, and he's in a doom metal band, haha.

Happy rig hoping!  :icon_thumright:

If you're in Sydney, I see they got some deals going for the new Marshall Code's:
http://iconmusicstore.com.au/product/marshall-code25-digital-guitar-amplifier/
Could be worth checking out.

I'll be coming closer to my decision soon. The Guitar gods have listened and lo and behold, a Rob Chapman video on the Marshall Code 25W amp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3oGGEGOEQE

I live in Brisbane which is a shame. There are a couple of websites that are already stocking it over here.

I would imagine you mean you live in Brisbane, which is awesome.

I've only been to Perth and Freemantle. Loved it there!
But would like to see more of your beautiful country.  :glasses9:

The idea of Australia intrigues me, but hearing that everything there wants to kill you, makes me want to stick to my Canadian winters  :laughing7:

The number of dangerous animals we have over here is drastically overrated. I haven't seen a snake in a couple of months and I've only encountered a couple of spiders this week. I would be more worried about some of the Bogans you see over here. As long as you don't offend anyone too badly you're fine.

Nice, haha.
I haven't seen a snake in over a year, and it was in captivity, and all spiders die in the winter here, so it's been a few months. So I'm still ahead.  :laughing7:

Back