Birds Eye Vs. Quarter Sawn Stability on neck

Malo Strat

Im looking at getting a Warmoth Pro Neck for my Strat build, I know that quarter sawn maple is a better piece of wood than regular sawn maple, its supposed to be more stable (I live in Hawaii where moisture and temp changes wreck havoc on woods) I wanted a beautiful piece of birds eye maple for my neck though Warmoth doesnt say if it comes quarter sawn or not.  Can you get birds eye neck quarter sawn from Warmoth? Is birds eye as warp resistant as a regular maple neck?  Thanks for your input

If the neck is finished, I wouldn't think moisture would be a problem  :icon_thumright:

Sorry, but I don't buy the quartersawn wood is inheritently stronger argument.  Take a piece of flatsawn wood and turn it 90 degrees and you have quartersawn.  Turn quartersawn 90 degrees and it's flatsawn.  Wood will move given changes in moisture/temperature changes.  The only question is in which direction?

Birdseye is fine for a neck wood.  Go for it!

Max said:
If the neck is finished, I wouldn't think moisture would be a problem  :icon_thumright:
That's exactly what i was thinking.

Warmoth makes an excellent neck. As long as it's properly finished, it should not warp.
Pick your wood based on what you like, not what would be more stable.

Personally, I prefer Birdseye Maple to Flamed or Quartersawn Maple as far as looks are concerned

As far as Quartersawn-Birdseye Maple goes, I really don't know much about this kind of stuff, but my guess is that the birdseye figuring is only visible when the wood is flatsawn.

I don't buy the theory that quartersawn is stronger or more resistant against environment changes. Stiffer, sure. But that doesn't mean stronger.

It certainly sounds differently, and I would be careful with it unless you are able to test a quartersawn neck by e.g. walking into guitar center and playing a EJ strat.

In a Warmoth Pro you have the double truss rod. I think that probably takes some of the sound-shaping away from the wood, and it also means that even if you wood is a little on the moody side you can get it back in line.

Back