Bill Lawrence Kent Armstrong Larry Dimarzio what do they have in common?

Rick

Epic Member
I was reading about my new pickups and I stumbled upon an article that described where Dimarzio and Armstrong learned about pickups. They both spent time with Bill Lawrence.  Which makes sense to me because I really like bill Lawrence pups and Dimarzio ‘s.  Small world, eh?

rick2 said:
I was reading about my new pickups and I stumbled upon an article that described where Dimarzio and Armstrong learned about pickups. They both spent time with Bill Lawrence.  Which makes sense to me because I really like bill Lawrence pups and Dimarzio ‘s.  Small world, eh?
IIRC, Dan Armstrong (Kent's Dad) & Bill Lawrence worked together in a NY repair shop. I'm pretty sure that Kent & Larry DiMarzio learned about pickups off Bill.

https://www.wildepickups.com/pages/bill-lawrence

I thought it was Steve Blucher that made the pickups, Larry D just started the company and likes to take photos.

gingataff said:
I thought it was Steve Blucher that made the pickups, Larry D just started the company and likes to take photos.

I don't know who does what inside DiMarzio the company, but Larry himself is mentioned in Bill Lawrence's bio as having worked with Bill.

so they were like the Super Friends (aka the better justice league) who then all went solo? #muy-interesante

And Duncan never worked with any of them? he must've been like the Wolverine of the super friends group: a rogue and ambivalent anti-hero type with a heart of alnico v

I believe mister duncan had some contact with less Paul and some mentoring from seth lover.

rick2 said:
I believe mister duncan had some contact with less Paul and some mentoring from seth lover.

From Seymour's Wiki bio:

"At Les Paul's suggestion, he moved to England in the late 1960s where his intention to play soon mixed with the opportunity to further his pickup research working in the Repair and R&D Departments at the Fender Soundhouse in London. It was here that he did repairs and rewinds for such artists as Jimmy Page, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, Peter Frampton and his guitar hero Jeff Beck. It was through his work with Beck in particular, that Duncan honed his pickup winding skills—some of Duncan's first signature pickup tones appear on Beck's early solo albums. Duncan's sabbatical in England resulted in a flock of new fans and friends.[3] Duncan came back to the United States and eventually settled in California. He established contact with people such as Leo Fender, Les Paul and Seth Lover (inventor of a humbucking pickup) and continued learning about and making pickups. Demand for his custom pickups grew and in late 1978 together with Cathy Carter Duncan, he started his own company, Seymour Duncan Pickups. Today the company has over 120 employees.".

Back