Best humbucker to pair with classic stacks

Mattmckenzie

putting together an HSS and have SD classic stacks for neck and middle.  What humbucker would you use in the bridge position?  I have a JB that I thought I might run through a 250k pot but I'm thinking it still may be a bit too hot.  Thoughts?

Probably a Pearly Gates or a Custom Hybrid.

I would use, 500K pots, and there is also the possibility to use a resistor so the classic stacks see 250k or thereabouts.

From what I heard, the classic stacks are great on both 250k and 500. I once tried them on a 500k Charvel with a hot bridge HB and they made the Charvel sound like a crispy Strat.

In any case, Pearly Gates will work for sure but JB is and always will be my favorite on both 250k and 500k guitars.

I'd say put in your favorite humbucker and see what happens.  If it's a JB then do that first.  My current favorite is the Duncan Distortion, but you might like something different.  As for the JB being too hot, nope.  You won't know until you try.

JB is great. If you like looser bass perhaps a custom custom? alnico 2

Isn’t Classic Stacks a misnomer to begin with?  Just being an azz

Look to a JB, Seth L or Dist

TBurst Std said:
Isn’t Classic Stacks a misnomer to begin with?  Just being an azz

Look to a JB, Seth L or Dist
While I love the PG, it’s a little mid heavy, especially if playing through something Marshall based. Almost becomes a 1 trick pony.

Do you play classic rock, metal, or looking for more of an all rounder?

For own preference, I'd probably put a PAF PRO.  It has a distinctive voicing and generally needs 500k pots.  Probably work fine if it matched your taste.   

if you already have the jb there's no reason not to try it. apart from it everyone's already taken the good recommendations lmao

Try the JB first and see how it works....

If it is too overpowering of the stacks or it sounds too dark on a 250K pot, I can suggest a Dimarzio Super 2.

They are bright ceramic magnet pickups usually used in neck position of an LP to solve muddy neck position issues. I had one for years in the bridge position of an old LP copy and it kicked ass.

I thought if you went with stacked pickups they'd recommend 500K pots anyway?  :dontknow:

Back