Best guitar tech in Boston Area

When I used to live in Boston -- which admittedly was almost 20 years ago -- I had all my work done by Craig Jones of Bay State Vintage Guitars. He was on Huntington Avenue right across the street from the New England Conservatory.

Oh, looks like he's still there: http://www.baystatevintageguitars.com/

Has anyone had recent dealings with Steve Morrill in Boxborough or Bay State Vintage Guitar in Norwood? I have several guitars that need professional attention, especially a Yamaha SG2000 that need a re-fret, and a Warmoth Strat neck with SS frets that needs dressing and leveling.

I live south of Boston, which is both both a cultural wasteland and a guitar services desert. I had some stuff done by Bay State Vintage many years ago when they were still in Boston, but I understand it's now run by the son of the original guy, so my past good experience isn't relevant.  But it's close to me. I hear good things about Morrill, but he has the disadvantage of being over an hour's drive from here.

The prospect of major surgery like a refret of my 40-year-old guitar makes me nervous, so I hope to hear that one or both of these guys are experienced and competent at this kind of thing.

I can't speak to the Norwood shop, Steve Morrill did a change of routing on my W-strat. The work was done perfectly, at a good price.

He was recommended to me by the shop where bought my Martin, and as far as I know, he's the only local Martin certified luthier. He was working on an older Martin in need of some serious love when I dropped my warmoth body, I'm sure it went back home looking & playing much better.

His reputation is well earned.

Sadie-f said:
I can't speak to the Norwood shop, Steve Morrill did a change of routing on my W-strat. The work was done perfectly, at a good price.

He was recommended to me by the shop where bought my Martin, and as far as I know, he's the only local Martin certified luthier. He was working on an older Martin in need of some serious love when I dropped my warmoth body, I'm sure it went back home looking & playing much better.

His reputation is well earned.

Thank you. I've heard nothing but good things about Steve. I'm going to call him soon and talk to him about it. I guess I'm almost resigned to have to drive a long way in some direction to get this work done.

I wonder if anybody knows of a good luthier in the Providence area? That's actually closer to me than Boxborough.

I'm similarly in search of a good amp repair guy. Practically all my amps are broken in some way.

Back