Beast in the making

Fat Pete

Quick n dirty mockup of the scratchplate and trussrod cover/nameplate. Final version will include real pickups - I suspect these paper ones would sound a bit thin. Still a work in progress, but not far off a final version.

Beast10.jpg

Looks really good. I didn't care for that body design at first, but it's been growing on me and examples like this are helping. Nice job on the trussrod cover/nameplate.

I think it needs a name like Bredbeddle, or some such.

The body design I would not normally go for but for some reason this one just looks right.

stratamania said:
I think it needs a name like Bredbeddle, or some such.

Thanks for that! This forum leads me down some unexpected paths from time to time (or a lot of different Wikipedia pages anyway)!

I've always liked the look and feel of an offset waist guitar. But looking at the Diamondback I worry about he upper horn. Looks like it's a little too close and might get in the way. Any insight?

BigSteve22 said:
I've always liked the look and feel of an offset waist guitar. But looking at the Diamondback I worry about he upper horn. Looks like it's a little too close and might get in the way. Any insight?
From a styling point of view, the tightness of the inside curve of the upper horn is, I think, a big part of the reason the design 'takes some getting used to'! In terms of playability, I can't see it getting in my way, but real insight won't come until it's built, so I'll let you know...

BigSteve22 said:

I have (or rather - the younger kid) one of those Diamondbacks. Green too  :headbang: ! Basically I love it, its just greatly playable, and I don't find any issues with either horns. Then, of course, its a matter of taste, and each body design carries its own balance and comfort. The diamondback is obviously not a Strat, but it is not really an SG either.

Cheers

As a big fan of ESP's Viper guitars, but not their lack of pickguard, the one thing keeping me from buying a Diamond back body is the lack of availability of a big-style pickguard. Please send Warmoth a template so they can start cranking those out!

Ace Flibble said:
As a big fan of ESP's Viper guitars, but not their lack of pickguard, the one thing keeping me from buying a Diamond back body is the lack of availability of a big-style pickguard. Please send Warmoth a template so they can start cranking those out!

I'll be doing mine 'properly' from a laser cut template, so it'll be reproducible. If you really want one, pm me - I'd be happy to make you one.

Warmoth can get in touch to discuss my massive royalties!*

(Maybe both should wait for the final design.)

I've never thought about a Diamondback but this one really puts it in perspective. It's a beauty.

Progress. Not done yet, needs wiring and I'm waiting on a different set of tuners, but the plastic parts are here so time to drill some holes and screw the suckers down!

XTXS1194.jpg

XTXS1195.jpg

XTXS1192.jpg

These were printed and cut by Tim at Scratch-It! - The Original Scratchplate Company and I can't recommend him highly enough. Great product and service, plus Tim is an extraordinarily good guy to do business with, really into what he's doing.

I was originally going to just have Tim make me a template so I could cut them from pearloid to match the binding but Mrs Fat Pete suggested fur - it is Beast after all - so here we are.

XTXS1201.jpg

At this point Beast turned moody so last photo for now - I'm sure there'll be more...

XTXS1198.jpg

Impressive looking piece you got there! I'm thinking Mrs FP was right about the fur, nice touch. Can't wait to see the finished product!

That's really looking great. Yes, the scratch plate is definitely right for it. :icon_thumright:

really nice!  I like it a lot.

Maybe I should make something like that with P90 pickups in it.... You know... Live at Leeds...

[youtube]M9boFzhUVG4[/youtube]

Wiring done. (How is it that I can clearly identify the pickup leads and still solder it the wrong way round? No showing my guts.)

Anyway. Different tuners obtained, and different they are.

XTXS1221.jpg

Presumably just to add an elements of variation and surprise, they came with one short shaft - the D as I've installed them. If there was one on the other side I'd call it a feature. Works perfectly well but wrong, obviously. I'd guess there's about zero chance of the UK supplier having spares so I'll probably drop Sperzel an email.

XTXS1217.jpg

Also swapped the bridge/tailpiece for these Gotoh 510 series parts.

XTXS1243.jpg

These are nice quality parts. The bridge has brass saddles (body material unspecified) and adjusts and locks down in various ways - the vertical screws lock the saddles, they're not individually height adjustable. The tailpiece is aluminium and pivots slightly on its studs, allowing a perfectly straight string-pull however you set the break angle. I'm reasonably sure this has a major effect on the tone.

It will be going to my tech for final setup but the build's done so an excessive gallery post will be coming very soon...

Back