Bass deal gone bad

Wyliee

OK guys.  Time has come for me to vent.  I recently bought a used electric upright on TalkBass. (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607538).  BSX has a good reputation and the price seemed fair so I jumped on it.  The bass was listed as very good condition with one ding.  Got pics of the ding and it was no big deal. 

When the bass arrived at the shop, I was shocked at the build quality.  Tearout in multiple spots and rough finish.  To top it off, the nut had been poorly filed and refilled multiple times and the neck on the treble side was uneven and looked unfinished.  The edge was only partially rolled; ending at Bb.  The g string nut is cut too low, causing it to buzz in open position unless I raise the action.

I decided to at least put it together to see how it sounds.  No bad at all.  Bowing is not decent.  Being semi-acoustic, it is nice to feel the note response.  So I tried it for a few weeks, but the details kept nagging me.  I finally contacted the original builder only to find out the bass is 14 years old and is well outside any warranty.  Repairs will put me another $250 in to the bass.  To top it off, a crack has appeared at the treble f hole and it looks like it was previously repaired as I can see a superglue smear.  Didn't catch it before.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4468282952_4a7ee0563f_b.jpg - superglue
smear on body and crack
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4468283022_216cf84b0d_b.jpg - full
length of crack
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2727/4414065115_4e53e0e599_b.jpg - nut
condition
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2680/4414064977_9196e15065_b.jpg -
fingerboard ding/roll

The seller hasn't denied the defects were there.  I've been trying to negotiate a refund with the seller, but he's ignoring me now.  I'm trying to open a dispute with PayPal, but I'm outside their 45 day window.  I could leave a negative review on TB, but that won't help me with the bass.  Shame on me for not jumping on this sooner.  Anyone got any suggestions that won't put me deeper in the money pit?

Not really, but if you find a way to twist PayPal's arm into breaking that 45 day rule let me know, I've got a case for them alright..

Black list the seller with your workplace data listings. .  :icon_thumright:  :icon_biggrin:

Fix it yourself.  Surely there must be some talent you can call upon in your locale.  Time to talk nice, call in favors, and turn your lemon in to lemonade.  But dont forget giving the seller a bad rep as well.

=CB= said:
Fix it yourself.  Surely there must be some talent you can call upon in your locale.  Time to talk nice, call in favors, and turn your lemon in to lemonade.  But dont forget giving the seller a bad rep as well.

+1  You're no newb...at least you have the contacts and knowledge to deal with it.  I'm sure you're as much displeased with yourself for letting this get to the point that PayPal can no longer be of service as you are with the seller for his lack of honesty and full disclosure.  IF you put $250 more into it at this stage - at least you have a serviceable instrument.  Time to move forward.  In a way...it's kinda like a Warmoth, in that you'll have an opportunity to personalize it to taste.  Your post benefits the younger/less experienced, as it illustrates the need for caution, validation, and close inspection upon receipt of a used instrument from an online source - no matter how great "the deal" may first appear.  It's unfortunate, and I feel your pain (you're neither the first nor will you be the last to go through this) - but, again, there's lessons to be learned and/or relearned here.  Good fortune to you, and post about the final results of your project.

=CB= said:
turn your lemon in to lemonade. 

Find the guy whose life gave him vodka and have a party. Then when he's good and drunk, rob him of a bass, then sell that for the amount of money you were trying to get PayPal to refund you.
:icon_jokercolor:

I think you waited too long to take action on any front.  It sucks when sellers aren't forthcoming with flaws and defects in their sale items;  they choose to be despicably deceitful in order to make a sale and will probably suffer grisly, wretched and lonely lives as a consequence.  I had a similar experience on a used cello that I recently bought; it had been rigged beyond what I recognized when I purchased it;  misshaped and misplaced bridge to compensate for a fingerboard that was too high .  I had to invest the same amount to fix it as I did to purchase it.  I just chalk this up to experience and now I just enjoy a well playing instrument after a painful second payment.  BTW what do you mean when you say "bowing is not decent"?  Best of luck

=CB= said:

Yup.  That looks to be my only option.  There are folks in the area and I can handle some of the work myself.  The principle of the matter still stinks.

I'm considering negative feedback on TB, but he can turn around and leave negative feedback for me as well.  And that doesn't help me in the long term.

Zoigoibi:  Sorry meant to say bowing is not bad.  Considering my arco is almost non-existent, it's pretty good.

Wyliee said:
I'm considering negative feedback on TB, but he can turn around and leave negative feedback for me as well.  And that doesn't help me in the long term. 

Move on and forward.  Negativity mires you in the past and prevents growth.  You're an older and mature guy (over 40  :laughing7:) !

Back