bass body wood choices

hachikid

hey. I have to add to this part of the forum. I'll be building a super secret bass that few know about. not giving away the design, or too much about electronics just yet, but as far as the body woods...I'm still deciding.

to start off, my influences are Billy Sheehan, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee (in that order)...the holy trinity of rock bass gods. I'm going for something between Billy's and John's tone (even thought they're pretty similar). but as far as neck wood, it's going to be a maple neck/maple fingerboard combo. for the body, I'm deciding between alder, swamp ash, hard ash, and maple (hard of soft). I will have two outputs on the bass (via Yamaha Attitude LTD), so I won't have to worry about not having low end...it will always be present in mass amounts. BADASS III bridge, three pickups in the body, and three knobs. also, it will have Hipshot ultra lights + 1 Hipshot D-tuner.

I would like to get a maple body because I loved Geddy's tone back when he was using the Ric, but someone at Warmoth said the body in maple would weigh 8 lbs, alone. I'm wondering if soft maple would be good. it seems to be as bright, but it said it weighed less. then again, with me running both my channels through a compressor, and the top end through some tube overdrive and sometimes a fuzz pedal, will the choice in body wood really be necessary? I'm looking for good sustain, and enough highs/mids to cut through like John managed to do live. as far as the total weight, I'm looking for around 9lbs, or so. nothing too heavy, nothing too light.

interesting, though, cause I did some research, and I found out the Yamaha Attitude LTD actually uses Alder.

Wenge/ebony neck, should help you cut through the mix regardless of the body wood. Unfortunately it's quite heavy, so it wouldn't help you reach your 9 lbs total goal.

A little warning, Warmoth necks in general are pretty heavy. Make sure that the body has a long upper horn or something that allows the strap button to be in optimal strap balance area (around the 12th fret). Gecko bodies, Z bodies, etc. are good examples of bodies that keep the guitar balanced because of good strap placement.

so, I'm thinking about going with either swamp ash or soft maple. I'm interested in the soft maple, tbh, because of the bright quality of maple. anyone have any experience with this as a body wood? I'm wanting to avoid neck dive because I will be using canary as a neck/fretboard wood, and I'm not sure how heavy that is. I will be using hipshot ultralights with a d-tuner, so that will help, but I don't want the body to be lighter than the neck which would cause neck dive. looking for a good even balance. anyone have any input?

Canary is a fairly lightweight neck wood.  I don't think you'll have issues with neck dive unless you get a really light body of Swamp Ash.  Maple should balance it nicely.

why do you say that? and it seems to be a bit warmer than what I'm looking for according to the warmoth wood guide.

Um the obvious play on words. you want to build a bass so use basswood!!!

sorry, my humor is dry.

hachikid said:
Do you know anything about the durability of soft maple?

"Soft" maple just means its not rock maple or whatever they call the stuff that goes into most necks. Its dense and heavy and tough and makes for a fantastic body.

line6man said:
rockskate4x said:

But Wenge has a warm tone, doesn't it?

I've been curious about Wenge for a while, but like the OP, I don't like warm woods at all.

I wouldn't call it warm.. I'd call it mids-y. Growl-y. Warwick-y. But tubby would have the best input on wood tones I think as he's played them all naked and fretless.

Back