Back with a 7 Stringer!

alexmyla

Hey guys its been a really long time since i've been back on this forum, but i though i'd show you what i've been up to. After passing med school i decided to buy a Warmoth 7 string neck and since i've never been a big fan of the bodies they offer i made my own. I had no woodworkin experience but after soaking up this forum and sevenstring.org, i decided to take the leap.

Here you go:

Note : All pics were taken with a Blackberry 9700

Body : Black Walnut top / Ash Body

Neck : Warmoth 7 Wenge/Ebony

Pickups : EMG 60x-7

String Gauges - 13-17-22-36-46-56-68 Tuned to Half-Standard

The body is modeled after this awesome looking 7 string Bariton by PAS guitars. i just fell in love with that shape.

I Jigsawed the body at home then left for india. i brought the body, neck and hardware with me. then on my breaks from work i would continue to build this guitar. took about a week or so then a few days for finishing using a local brand wipe on varnish.

I only had a few chisels, a ton of sandpaper, and a small drill with really crappy bits. i actually used the drill and its maximum bit to rout away some wood....reaaaaally risky but i had no other choice. Also while chiseling the pickup cavity i blew out some wood near the bridge....

so i used some glue and put some woodchips in there...meh no worries, im not selling this and you cant really see it because its between the pup and bridge.

Shes a beauty and fun as hell to play, actions low, no buzz and thanks to EMGs new solderless install system, i didnt have to screw up soldering the pickups. I named her Ariana.

purelojik-albums-first-handmade-guitar-body-picture4173-a.jpg

purelojik-albums-first-handmade-guitar-body-picture4172-all-done.jpg

purelojik-albums-first-handmade-guitar-body-picture4174-i-love-the-color-and-figure-when-the-light-hits-it-at-this-angle.jpg

purelojik-albums-first-handmade-guitar-body-picture4175-awesome-shot-i-got-with-my-little-blackberry-9700-camera.jpg

Its still in progress cause i need to add a few more coats of varnish but its pretty playable now.

My connection is super slow so im gonna just put the link to my Facebook Album, its a public link so anyone can view it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2537270&id=909446&l=8280b2dd23

It sounds amazing. This is my favorite EMG pickup so far. I've owned the 81 and 85 on two of my sixers, one was changed out to a tremonti and p-rail. the other still has this combo.

One major complaint about EMGs from people has been that they sound too "sterile". i had a similar complaint. The EMG 60x-7 is the perfect choice for articulation AND the passive feel for a pickup. Still if PRS ends up making a 7 string version of the Tremonti Treble, i'll switch out for that, but that doesnt look like a possibility any time soon.

Looking real bad-a$$ my friend. This forum needs more 7 strings, a problem I also will be helping with shortly :toothy10:

That body is pretty sweet, but I would like to see the grain totally filled. Otherwise awesome job :icon_thumright:

Also, SD made a 7 string p-rail? :icon_scratch:

They didn't have the right kind of grain filler here. Plus I didn't mind an open pore finish. Lol SD didn't make a 7 string p rail. I was sayin on my les paul I have a prail in the neck and a tremonti in the bridge. I want a 7 str tremonti lol.

I'm not into 7 strings, but that looks cool as shyt. I love the body style, and kudos to you for creating that with just some primitive hand tools...With a better finish it would really be something. But givin where you're at and what's available, that's probably the best finish possible... :icon_thumright:

Back