Asymmetrical Neck profile, upside down?

jco5055

Hi guys, this topic was inspired by this video:[youtube]HAzDHuEmZBo[/youtube]...has anyone gotten one of the asymmetrical necks and either ordered the opposite hand so you could reverse it, or have even just flipped your guitar over to see what it's like?

When I used the neck profile reference guitars, and found them at stores, I felt like the SRV and Wolfgang were my faves...but it was very hard/strange to flip an entire guitar over haha. Would have been much easier to take only a neck to flip.

I actually talked to a luthier who builds his guitars with asymmetrical profiles, but he only does the "traditional" way and said he hated trying it reversed.

Thanks!

Nope, never thought about jumping out of an airplane without a parachute either.

rick2 said:
Nope, never thought about jumping out of an airplane without a parachute either.
Really? It’s worth a try.  They says it’s a once in a lifetime experience  :icon_tongue:

I wouldn't do it tbh. The real problem is warmoth desperately needs something like the wolfgang but symmetrical, like an ibanez AZ neck. Without going asymmetrical the jump from the standard thin, a very thin profile, and the 59 is very large imo. Even Aaron in the past said he wished they added some more neck profile.

If you watch Tosin Abasi's most recent rig rundown he describes the asymmetry on the neck of his old Ibanez signature as being thinner on the bass side and thicker on the treble side, which is what you're describing. Of course it's an 8 string, and he explains how it's easier to bar on the low strings but there's more meat for leads on the treble strings. But his hands are huge, so that probably applies to us normal handed folks for 6 string guitars. Personally, I like my Les Pauls that have asymmetric necks the traditional way (thicker on the bass side).

I flip necks over all the time.. I have a lefty kid I've been trying to get interested in guitars for a while.

So I went to my local GC and tried a EBMM Axis baritone that has the asymmetrical neck...and honestly I'm still not sure what I think haha.

I thought it felt fine the normal way, and then I awkwardly turned the guitar upside down, and I couldn't really tell how much different it felt, but it didn't feel strongly one way or the other with the upside down way....honestly the normal way didn't feel much different than a regular C to me.

Consider the wolfgang profile is supposed to be more asymmetrical compared to an ebmm axis neck.

too bad they didn't have one there...well they have the EVH wolfgang stuff, but I think I've heard that it's the Peavey or maybe even EBMM models that are the Wolfgangs with the neck?

Understood, I just meant I know it’s based on Wolfgang’s from I believe peavey and/or ebmm, and I’m unsure if the current evh brand models have a similar profile…I didn’t notice them at all when I’ve played them

flip your fret hand around and play like that, duh

I like the wolfgang profile but 'm not sure it's necessarily because of the asymmetry or not, and it's not a big deal compared to the standard thin for me in the grand scheme of neck feelery

Back