Article on prize Mahogany

I finished several guitars for a player a few years back and he told me about a luthier in his area who had some sets from "The Tree". I had no idea what that meant but it seemed like I should have been impressed. Once I heard the story I was impressed and the article in the link does a great job of telling it. Thanks for the post!!!

It is a cool story and as a mere mortal I know I will never acquire a hunk of it!  :laughing7:

I've been down to these forests in Costa Rica and Mexico and they got some big trees.  As strange as it sounds I spent a day on horseback in Oaxaca and the forest had a lot of the same kind of tree so I asked the guide what are these and he said mexican ebony (I believe it's katalox) and I said what do you do with it and he said makes good firewood.  I don't if he was pulling my leg but there you go.

I think it would be cool if the Aaron would do a video tracking  Alder from the forest to Warmoth.  I'm pretty sure as a business expense it would be tax deductable. There could be a promo like these alder bodies came from this particular tree maybe an old big one from the great state of Washington. I know I mentioned this before but it would be fun ....

Head over to the Acoustic Guitar Forum and there a number of threads regarding the ‘tree’ as well as a number of builds from it.

I wonder how many electric guitars have bodies or necks made from "the tree". Seems like it is mostly on acoustics.

Back