Are these frets Stainless?

Major7Sharp11

Hi all,

New round these parts, though have been lurking for awhile. Excited to be embarking on my first Warmoth build after years of circling the drain. I figure I'll be on here doing plenty of advice-seeking.

Just got my tele neck, and was a bit curious about the frets. I can see from past posts that the jury's still out on how to truly tell the difference between nickel and steel frets from sight alone, or via magnets, etc. (aside from just stringing up, playing for awhile, and taking note of the rate of wear).

I ordered mine with SS6150 frets, and they are labeled as such on my neck heel. I'm sure they're correct if they are labeled as such, but I couldn't help but notice that the frets don't have the same mirror-like shine/luster that nearly every other stainless fret I've seen has. They are more of a brushed look, which looks more like nickel. I figure it could totally just be because, as Warmoth states, they don't do any final leveling or dressing of frets, meaning that mirror-like SS fret will come out after I get a proper level/polish.

But, seeing as I've seen some folks post that their Warmoth necks sometimes have "play-ready" or "nearly play-ready" frets right out of the box, I wanted to inquire about other Warmoth SS fret owners' experience in this regard. Were your SS frets more brushed, and not mirror-like, out of the box? Or, if not, is there any possibility at all that my neck was labeled properly with SS6150, but nickel frets were installed by mistake?

Again, I do doubt the latter, but just looking for some reassurance from some fellow Warmothians  :icon_smile:

Will post some pics here of the Warmoth neck compared to my Suhr neck (which I believe both use the same brand of fret wire?), to illustrate the difference.

Here are some pics of my Suhr neck (ebony fingerboard) compared to my new Warmoth neck (rosewood fingerboard), and finally a PRS from online to illustrate that common mirror-like quality as well.

It's hard to capture perfectly in the photo, but the photo of my two necks on top of each other shows it the most on the fret ends (where you can literally see reflections in my Suhr fret ends, and the brushed look is really pronounced in my Warmoth fret ends). Perhaps just due to not being polished, then?

EDIT: looks like all my pictures uploaded rotated to varying degrees  :icon_scratch: but I think the difference is still visible.

Attachments

• IMG_9167.JPG
    IMG_9167.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9166.JPG
    IMG_9166.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_9171.JPG
    IMG_9171.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_9170.JPG
    IMG_9170.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_9177.JPG
    IMG_9177.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_9176.JPG
    IMG_9176.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_9178.JPG
    IMG_9178.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9172.JPG
    IMG_9172.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_9189.JPG
    IMG_9189.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 149
ghotiphry said:
If warmoth did the finishing, check to see if you need to remove finish from the frets

That would apply to maple boards, this one is not so that would not apply.

For the OP comparing new fret wire that has not been polished, and apart from being installed is new wire to a Suhr or a PRS with levelled, crowned, dressed and polished frets they will not look the same. The Suhr probably has Stainless steel but PRS use nickel.

ghotiphry said:
stratamania said:
ghotiphry said:
If warmoth did the finishing, check to see if you need to remove finish from the frets

That would apply to maple boards, this one is not so that would not apply.

Oh, right. Yeah I forgot.

An easy slip to make. I pointed it out more so that others did not think there was a possibility of finish being on the frets posted by the OP.

Hi all, I appreciate the insight/reassurance. I know it was probably a bit ridiculous-seeming, but when I read that some people play their Warmoth frets straight out of the box, it had me wondering. Thanks!

Major7Sharp11 said:
Hi all, I appreciate the insight/reassurance. I know it was probably a bit ridiculous-seeming, but when I read that some people play their Warmoth frets straight out of the box, it had me wondering. Thanks!

No problem.

Back