Anyone got or seen metallic caribbean burst in person?

Ace Flibble

Trying to gauge whether this finish is what I'm after in my head, particularly the brightness and smoothness of the silver portion. For the life of me, though, I can't find any images under normal lighting conditions. (Yes, I've tried search. "Metallic caribbean burst" comes up with zilch.) The only photos I can find of this finish are Warmoth's stock photos which, frankly, can't be trusted as far as you can throw 'em.

I did see a metallic caribbean Strat in person once but it was long ago enough that I don't trust my memory of it.

Alternatively, if Warmoth would like to simply start offering an actual skyburst (that's the same thing just over pure white instead of light silver; white pearl would probably make a really nice base for it), that'd be grand...

I’m not sure how far you can throw, but I would trust the Warmoth pictures a lot farther than a picture some random internet person shot in their basement. The Warmoth photo folks put a lot of work into producing consistent results, it’s been a topic of conversation a few different times. You never know what you’re getting from less controlled sources. Not that another perspective isn’t worth checking out, I just wouldn’t outright dismiss the stock photos.

That said, I have no personal experience with Metallic Caribbean Burst.

I can't find any either, so if you go for it, it looks like you'd be the only kid on the block.

FWIW my experience of their metallic bursts was a happy one.

aUDhnyw.jpg

rVZNWTj.jpg

Yeah I was guessing/hoping it'd be an Aluminium base, but I can't remember when Warmoth brought in the metallic bursts vs when they brought in Aluminium, and the Inca Silver is quite a bit darker so I don't want to just assume these things. I did try e-mailing a couple of weeks ago but no response since; I would guess they have too much going on right now to be responding to a question on paint definition. I'll give them another bell in a few days but seeing, or at least hearing of, some real-life sightings would still help more.

Thanks, Pete, those close-ups do help a lot. Gives me a good idea of the 'flakiness' to expect at least. I know from experience Warmoth's 'flake' finishes are more 'flaky' than I ever anticipated or wanted, but white pearl metallic was perfect; that burst of yours looks close enough for my taste, at least in terms of the metallic component.

Usually that would be enough for me and I'd take a gamble on it, but I did promise a certain someone that this would be the last guitar I buy or build—I keep finding ones in the attic I've forgotten I ever had—so... got to get this one really right.

-VB- said:
I’m not sure how far you can throw, but I would trust the Warmoth pictures a lot farther than a picture some random internet person shot in their basement. The Warmoth photo folks put a lot of work into producing consistent results, it’s been a topic of conversation a few different times.
[size=8pt]Yes and as we've gone over before, there is a huge difference between photos being 'consistent' in relation to each other and photos being accurate in an absolute sense.
At least when a 'random' takes a quick snap you usually get some kind of environmental clue as to how it was taken, or the file quality gives away how/what it was taken with, so you can mentally 'fix' it. And/or that person can describe the finish as well. But Warmoth's shots are all masked off transparencies; you have to just take them as-is. They really need to include a grey card in each shot so at the very least you'd have a very basic reference point to eyeball and adjust for.

Back