Anybody build a custom pedal board?

S

SalsaNChips

I am forming a plan to build a pedal board. Nothing elaborate, just customized to efficiently fit my needs in the smallest space possible.

I wanted to see if anybody else has done a project like this and if so, what they came up with.

All my signal processing is in rack gear and I switch via a ROLLS MIDI pedal that I’ve had for at least 15 years. The normally open patch switches on the MIDI pedal are starting to go out, otherwise it still works fine.

Recently I decided to order a Rippa Booster wah pedal; never used wahs that much before. Also decided to take the plunge and get a compressor; picked up a TC Electronic Vintage off eBay cheap. Then figured what the heck, just get a decent floor tuner so you don’t have to reply on the inaccurate headstock unit. Wound up with a Korg Pitchblack. Also thinking maybe bring out the old BOSS A/B switcher to give me true bypass.

So now I have 4, possibly 5 pedals to contend with. I started thinking about how I could manage all that, squeeze it into one compact, self-contained unit with power. I am still formulating the design in my head but basically it’s going to be like this:

• Lay out everything exactly how I want it
• Measure and get dimensions including power and signal routes, in/out and MIDI connections
• Use 3/4” birch laminate, cut and build a pedal board lower deck, route as necessary
• Take the guts out of the ROLLS pedal, buy some decent SPST NO momentary foot switches and build an upper deck that mounts the patch switches and LED display how I want it. Including securing the MIDI switch PCB internally in some manner
• Install a fused power socket, ON/OFF, MIDI in and guitar cord female jacks for main IN/OUT. And a couple standard 115V power sockets while I’m at it.
• Cut upper deck to neatly frame the pedals covering all the cabling and power
• Secure the pedals in some manner (Velcro, tie-wraps or just bolt to the lower deck)
• Screw the upper deck to the lower deck, sandwiching everything together in one unit.
• Test it, once satisfied it works, take it all apart, add some sort of recessed handle (as it will probably weigh upwards of 25 lbs.), then sand, stain and poly it
• Screw it together and bask in satisfaction

That is my plan. Figure it’ll take a weekend to build once I source all the parts.

Interested in comments and feedback and info on similar pedal boards with ideas on building. Feel free to describe with links and pics if you’ve got them :)

I built one when I was in junior high <mumble> years ago.  It's seen a lot of use and abuse but it's still going:

352_40809067111_9796_n.jpg

352_40816742111_8470_n.jpg

BTW - I don't use it anymore.  I've upgraded a bit since:

547721_10150765719867112_801023548_n.jpg

Trevor, where did you get the bracket for the wheels? That is what I need.
This is my current pedal board. No still not mounted.

P1000826.jpg

er - I just gave my spec to the guys building the case and they did everything.

Here's a pic of AutoBats pedal board  :laughing7: 

His kids live in the garage  :icon_jokercolor:

Attachments

• Foot Pedals.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 370
I play almost exclusively thru Guitar Rig 5 now and haven't plugged my pedals into anything in a few years.
What I do own:
19893338_1.jpg
-12521622907733773490.jpg
DV019_Jpg_Regular_151875.jpg

1 - Morley Wah (which I don't like)
2 - Danelectro DanEcho
3 - Danelectro Bacon n Eggs distortion with 1" speaker amp

I may rebuy the Danelectro DD1 Fab Tone fuzz pedal someday.  Now that I know how to solder I can replace the awful plastic jacks (danecho has them too)
The Bacon & Eggs is a cheapie & all plastic. It's not bad for plugging in and putting in your pocket to walk around making a little noise.

Back