Another Tru Oil Question

justsomeguy1

Hi all.

Neck and body arrive next week!

I'll have an unfinished roasted flame maple neck and plan on sanding it down to around 1500 grit. I may also apply one very thin coat of Tru-Oil to bring out the figuring.

1. Will one very thin coat of Tru-Oil affect the satin feel of the unfinished, and sanded neck?

2. Should I apply the oil before or after sanding?

3. Bonus question. I can't image this would make a difference but I intend on rolling the fretboard edges (screwdriver trick). Should this be done before or after the oil?

:eek:ccasion14:

justsomeguy1 said:
Hi all.

Neck and body arrive next week!

I'll have an unfinished roasted flame maple neck and plan on sanding it down to around 1500 grit. I may also apply one very thin coat of Tru-Oil to bring out the figuring.

Okay look forward to seeing it when it arrives if you post pics etc.

justsomeguy1 said:
1. Will one very thin coat of Tru-Oil affect the satin feel of the unfinished, and sanded neck?

No.

justsomeguy1 said:
2. Should I apply the oil before or after sanding?

After, before will mean if it is a truly thin coat it will no longer be there depending on how much sanding you do. Though Tru-oil when dry can be sanded.

justsomeguy1 said:
3. Bonus question. I can't image this would make a difference but I intend on rolling the fretboard edges (screwdriver trick). Should this be done before or after the oil?

:eek:ccasion14:

Before - though a better way to roll edges is to use a sharp blade and/or fine file and sandpaper for this.

On whether to use Tru-Oil or not on a neck that does not need a finish is entirely up to you.

Some forum members use finer grits than 1500 on unfinished necks. So you might want to check out this thread linked below.

Burnishing Raw Necks

Thanks for the tip I'll look into better methods to roll the fretboard edges.

I've made it through about 10 pages of that burnishing topic. A lot of discussion in there! I'm not going for a shine, just really will attempt to get as smooth as possible without making it look the glossy part. Have never done this before so I'm unsure if 1500 is where I will stop, that is just an estimate based on what I've read so far. Will have to play it by ear so to speak.

Will be sure to post pics as well.

Back