Another one bites the (bone) dust

S

swarfrat

The fretless nut looks ok but could probably go lower. The fretted nut definitely looks like it could go lower, but I'll do that when I do a proper setup.

This was I think my third attempt s cutting a nut from a blank. Definitely goes faster with a radius jig. My 3d printer is offline at the moment but I have an idea for a long compass nut radiusing jig. With a shortage of sandpaper I got me one of those silicon carbide duragrit sanding blocks. Only have 60/120 but for what it works on it's great.

The Hosco files are seem to be the cheapest nut files that won't get you laughed at by your Luthier pals, and they do cut a v slot but the bottom is flat, and they won't cut but so deep, only cutting on the vee. So my tiny rat tail actually did a lot of the work, roughing the slot when the hoscos won't go any deeper, as well as rounding the bottom and clearance side.

The lefty mini bass came with a right handed nut flipped backwards. Slots slanted the wrong way. 

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_074754699~2.jpg
    IMG_20210629_074754699~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210629_074808367.jpg
    IMG_20210629_074808367.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 112
The fretboard on that fretless neck looks so delicious, I love it! The other one looks like a little baby next to it!

It is. It's a 25" scale. I bought one like it when my kid was way little and very interested in my bass. Like 2yo. Then we discovered he was a lefty. Made him a u-bass. But he liked the 25" p-bass because it looked like dad's, so eventually I found a lefty short scale mini p.

Of course he doesn't really play, but I'm a firm believer in making instruments available to kids, especially when dad plays guitar and he wants to play bass!!

Back