Analogman Sunface TI/UK fuzz demo

taez555

This is a demo I made this weekend for my Analogman Sunface TI/UK.  It's a germanium transistor fuzz pedal, with old school 1968 british military spec'd trannies. Of course it was all played on my Warmoth. :)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClewA9znI6Q[/youtube]

It's amazing, there are millions of Youtube videos out there, countless Analogman Sunface demos but there isn't a single other TI/UK video?  Red Dot, white dot, BC108 silicon, etc., no TI/UK.     Maybe it's just me, but this thing sounds sweet. :)

Oh yeah... I went a little overboard with the feedback, but damn it sounds good. :)

I liked 4:10 - 4:30.  What that the bridge split with the volume rolled down a little?  Sounded nice.  The feedback at the end sounded like something you would here in a live performance of Saucerful of Secrets or Echoes.

I'm glad you demo'd it; I got some valuable information out of the deal. But, it sounds to me like some kind of hi-tech electronic bug/pest repellent device, or perhaps some form of cruel and unusual punishment for kids who won't eat their veggies. Of course, I'm an old fart so I don't know how to apply such things and have no idea where they would be useful <grin>

If it makes you happy, that's all that counts.

crash said:
I liked 4:10 - 4:30.  What that the bridge split with the volume rolled down a little?  Sounded nice.  The feedback at the end sounded like something you would here in a live performance of Saucerful of Secrets or Echoes.

Thanks, you know I think that actually is the bridge split at that point.

Cagey said:
I'm glad you demo'd it; I got some valuable information out of the deal. But, it sounds to me like some kind of hi-tech electronic bug/pest repellent device, or perhaps some form of cruel and unusual punishment for kids who won't eat their veggies. Of course, I'm an old fart so I don't know how to apply such things and have no idea where they would be useful <grin>

If it makes you happy, that's all that counts.

Yeah, fuzz pedals in general are sort of an acquired taste.   I used to always think they just sounded like a broken circuit, or like when you were a kid and didn't have a good amp and just plugged into the stereo and got that to overdrive.  Not exactly that lush tube overdrive sound. :)   Thanks for watching though.

I used to play with them back about 100 years ago, when that's all there was. Had one of the original "Fuzz" boxes...

unisuperfuzz.jpg

...which I think is what Keef used in "I Can't Get No (Satisfaction)".  Sounded awful. I loved it to death. Built like the old telephones of the day, which due to their sturdiness did double duty as weapons. I think that little rascal weighed about a pound an a half. I was the coolest guy around with that thing. Then, Electro-Harmonix came on the scene in the late 60s, early 70s and one of the first things they offered was the "Big Muff Pi", which was, of course, just the best...

EHPi.jpg

Master volume amps were pretty thin on the ground in those days, so if you wanted to sound big at lower volumes, or outrageously out of control at higher volumes, those were the things to use. Me and a buddy almost went into business making the things, as there's nothing to them. Started with EH's LPB-1 power boosters and did alright, but eventually found there was more money to be made modifying amps, which also sounded tons better.

Today, you couldn't give me one of the things. I just can't see the attraction. But, they still sell like icewater in hell, so they must have their appeal. I'm not sure what anybody's using them for - I rarely actually hear one.

Back