An homage to Old Black for dad (Neil content, but no Warmoth content...)

Verne Bunsen

Hello all!

So, I’d like to start out here by saying that this is not intended to be a “replica” of Neil Young’s trusty companion, Old Black. There won’t be any (intentional) relic’ing, nor any painted-on faux binding. I won’t be stripping the black finish off, refinishing it in gold, then painting black over it again. I’m not going to route the back out for the “mystery cover”. Some technical and aesthetic decisions will probably (definitely) be made differently. This guitar is to be a gift for my father, who passed his love and appreciation for the music of Neil Young on to me. While I do aim to pay respect to Neil and to Old Black with this project, upon completion it will be my dad’s guitar, not Neil’s. That's the idea anyway.

That said, onward!

Neil and Old Black: Weapons of Mass Creation!
rs-231508-GettyImages-97018439.jpg

neil-young-old-black-1984.jpg

neil-young-like-a-hurricane.jpg

The platform for this project is my 2011 Les Paul Traditional Pro.

Photo%20Sep%2009%2C%205%2033%2020%20AM.jpg

Photo%20Sep%2009%2C%205%2034%2016%20AM.jpg

Two points of background information here. Point 1: I've had this guitar for about 3 years, and have spent the last year or so debating selling it due to guitar overpopulation. Point 2: I travel a lot for work and, over the last year or so, my dad has come through to provide assistance to my wife in a number of pinches: heater that won't heat, Air Conditioner that won't cool, roof leaks, cars that won't start, all of the things that only happen when you're away. It occured to me that this guitar would be much better served as a "Thanks Dad!" than as a listing on Reverb.com. That's the genisis of this project.

The guitar is currently equipped with a pair of Lollar P90s, which I installed shortly after acquiring the guitar. They are bodacious. The neck P90 will be staying, although it will be getting a new hat.

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%202%2019%2022%20PM.jpeg

The bridge pickup will be changed out, but no pictures yet as it is currently in the hands of our local metallurgical magician DangerousR6. He is working on some hardware for it. Among other things...

The guitar has these very convenient mounting plates for the pickups:

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%201%2037%2018%20PM.jpeg

The new neck pickup cover is actually metal, so grounding it becomes a concern. I approached this like any self-respecting Tele guy: I stuck a piece of wire under the plate and screwed it back down...

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%201%2043%2033%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%201%2047%2014%20PM.jpeg

With the pickup installed and the cover connected to the plate by the mounting screws, the meter tells me I have good continuity between the cover and other end of the ground wire. For now, that will do!

I think we're off to a good start...

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%202%2035%2014%20PM.jpeg

I have yet to wire up a toggle switch as pretty as what Cagey turns out, but I'm working on it...

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%209%2015%2000%20PM.jpeg

I had this switch surround made by Philadelphia Luthier Tools, and I am just thrilled about it...

Photo%20Dec%2002%2C%209%2023%2057%20PM.jpeg

More as it develops!

Very cool project VB. As usual.  :icon_thumright:

I especially like that switch ring. Awesome.

Looking forward to more pictures and stuff. :eek:ccasion14:

This is a very good undertaking. I like the guitar, I like the direction it's going and I particularly like the reasons behind it. I'll follow this one for sure.
:icon_thumright:

That switch ring is too cool.

-VB- said:
It occured to me that this guitar would be much better served as a "Thanks Dad!" than as a listing on Reverb.com.......
That's a great idea! I'm sure your Dad would be thrilled, especially knowing that you reworked it with him in mind.  :icon_thumright:

Mayfly said:
Nice project!

does Neil's selector ring actually say that?

Thanks guys!

I believe that Neil's is oversized white plastic with no text at all. Which seems very Neil.

I went for the chrome instead of the plastic because, generally speaking, dad will always opt for metal or wood over plastic when it's practical. As for the text, once I thought of it it just seemed too perfect to not do it...

Some context on that switch surround text:

[youtube]i6RZY4Ar3fw[/youtube]

[youtube]331kyZ9OXMc[/youtube]

The mini switch.........

(many thanks to the internet for these pictures, I could stare at them all day...)
ff62c84febd258d6b8a6726e6eab8f20.jpg

e8eace498ff2839aefd567ec508481c4.jpg

What does it DO?! Does it have something to do with the "Mystery Cover" on the back?

ob2.jpg

There are lots of speculations and rumors, the ones that I find most likely are:
1: Bridge pickup volume/tone bypass (straight to selector switch)
2: Phase reversal
3: Magic

It may well be number three, but I don't have the technical prowess to duplicate that. So I've dismissed it for now.

Something to note here is that, whether we're talking about modifying guitars or amps or trucks, my dad has always insisted upon a path back to the stock configuration. No modifications that can't be un-done. As such, drilling a hole for the switch was not my first choice in this instance. Even though I bought a new bit for it and everything. Push/Pulls though, now I've got my switch functionality without a permanent modification. Also, I'm no longer limited to one function. Which meant I didn't have to decide between a control bypass OR a phase reversal, we can have them both!

Which gave birth to this nightmare:

Photo%20Dec%2003%2C%2010%2024%2017%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Dec%2003%2C%2010%2024%2037%20PM.jpeg

I say "nightmare", but what I mean is "challenging task that required me to rise to my utmost abilities". The path goes like this: Neck pickup will be wired normal. Bridge pickup hot and ground will go to the push/pull on the neck tone pot. This switch is a phase reversal. The output of that switch, be it normal or reversed, then goes to the bridge tone pot push/pull. This switch either sends the signal to the volume/tone controls and then directs the volume pot output to the switch, or sends the signal straight to the selector switch and isolates the volume and tone pots. I have verified all functionality with the meter and it all checks out, so I have high hopes. Both of these switches were squirrley right out of the box, intermittent contact connections in either switch position. I hit them with the DeOxIt and cycled them a few times and the were perfect after that. Hopefully that was all they needed and they will have a nice long life ahead of them...

This brings me to the ginormous capacitors that you see in there. A few months ago dad gave me this:

Photo%20Sep%2018%2C%201%2012%2024%20PM.jpeg

He said he'd had them on the shelf forever and figured that I'd find a use for them before he did. "Perhaps I will," I thought to myself....

Now, before the Capacitor Wars begin, I'd like to say that it is the opinion of my ears that the single most critical factor in tone cap performance is not the construction but the measured capacitance value. Next on the list of criticality is a tie between durability and consistency. Then intangibles like MOJO. Which is to say that, no matter how cool they look, I wouldn't have used them if they didn't read right on the meter. Should have a 0.015uf for the neck and 0.022uf for the bridge.

Photo%20Sep%2018%2C%201%2009%2011%20PM.jpeg

Photo%20Sep%2018%2C%201%2010%2008%20PM.jpeg

I'm happy with that.

Looks like you hit those capacitors close enough.  I used to like .046 caps but found I never used the full darkening. I think you have the best combo, there.

Nice use of push/pull pots. I also like mods that allow reversal back to original. Very good progress so far.

Mayfly said:
What's that silver line that goes up the back of the guitar??

The Wikipedia page says:

"A white maple type binding extends down the back of the guitar neck but it has been pulled off from the body, resulting in the removal of a jagged strip of body wood down the back."

I question that it is actually maple, but otherwise it seems to jive with what is seen in the picture. The Wikipedia entry doesn't list a source for that information, but in lieu of any other info it seems as good an answer as any. I'd be inclined to say it was just a paint stripe except that it is still there on the back of the neck while all other finish has been worn off.

Rgand said:
Looks like you hit those capacitors close enough.  I used to like .046 caps but found I never used the full darkening. I think you have the best combo, there.

Nice use of push/pull pots. I also like mods that allow reversal back to original. Very good progress so far.

I concur, a .022 and .015 for humbuckers in a 2 volume / 2 tone configuration is sweet! I still like a .047 for single coils though, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose  :icon_biggrin:

-VB- said:
Rgand said:

I concur, a .022 and .015 for humbuckers in a 2 volume / 2 tone configuration is sweet! I still like a .047 for single coils though, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose  :icon_biggrin:
Aren't we all at times? :icon_biggrin:

I’ve re-wired more than a few Les Pauls and guitars with the LP control configuration, but this is my first time incorporating push/pulls. It complicates things! You really have to be thinking several steps ahead lest you find yourself in a pickle. I’ve been wishing for a few of Cagey’s solder lug washers, that is a lesson taken to heart for this kind of application.

I think I’ll order a few up myself. By the time you know you need ‘em, you wish you already had ‘em... Thanks!

Back