all-wenge SG (???)

dbw

Master Member
I was thinking how cool an all-wenge, all-raw SG would be.  Gregg/Eric/John, can W swing the wenge body?  Will the center join hold up without a finish... will the glue stand up to sweat and humidity?  Or would it have to be a one-piece?  :help:

I'm planning an all wenge strat/soloist, I ddidn't even think to worry about the glue joints holding up... :sad:

there was an all wenge bass posted on the forum once, so I am thinking its probably not a problem.

From what I have read, glue joints are generally considered sturdier than actual wood, so that should not be a problem! An all-wenge SG sounds really cool.

You can glue a warmoth neck if you want, but they are designed to be bolt ons.
I can't remember a wenge body, but I suppose it could be special ordered.
I can't remember a wenge neck with a wenge fretboard.

You should check out the official website to see what they can do.  As for necks, I really love wenge. And it mates well with ebony for the fretboard.

I think it's a good question, actually - oily woods like wenge might not be very gluable - W told me it was hard to make an all-rosewood warmoth headstock with the scarf joint because the oil in the rosewood makes gluing a pain.
I also think an all-wenge SG would rock the house, but feel like a load of bricks on a strap. Can't wait to see it.

Rick said:
You can glue a warmoth neck if you want, but they are designed to be bolt ons.
Thanks Rick, I actually knew that.  :redflag:

Rick said:
I can't remember a wenge neck with a wenge fretboard.
There was an all-wenge Jbass neck in the showcase recently...

tfarny said:
I think it's a good question, actually - oily woods like wenge might not be very gluable - W told me it was hard to make an all-rosewood warmoth headstock with the scarf joint because the oil in the rosewood makes gluing a pain.
I also think an all-wenge SG would rock the house, but feel like a load of bricks on a strap. Can't wait to see it.
I know they can't do Goncalo scarf joints because the wood doesn't glue well.  If you look in the showcase, though, there are plenty of angled-headstock wenge necks.

if they can do a bass, an sg would be easy :)
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=2073.0

index.php

I didn't mean to pour cold water on your idea ...
I guess you can do a wenge neck and wenge fretboard, that would be cool.  I say go for it.

I've played wenge necks, and loved 'em, but never a wenge fretboard.  Try it, report back.

I've played a wenge bass neck but never a guitar neck.  I dunno if a wenge fretboard is even a good idea... seems like the rough grain would make bends a PITA.

dbw said:
I've played a wenge bass neck but never a guitar neck.  I dunno if a wenge fretboard is even a good idea... seems like the rough grain would make bends a PITA.
Hmmm, you have a point there.  I would assume that W would only use tighter grained pieces for the board.  With a good sanding it may not be a hindrance.  :dontknow:

I've played wenge fretboards on both guitar (Veillette) and bass (Dingwall), no issues on either. Maybe not as nice as maple or ebony maybe, but not noticable as negative. Of course, on the bass it really doesn't matter with such thick strings!

Wenge has really open grain, rosewood often has really open grain. Maybe bending strings on a wenge fretboard would be akin to doing so on a rosewood board? i.e. still good? I am not sure.

dbw said:

The wenge guitar necks are great!  I have ebony on mine, but I've seen wenge fingerboards in the ultimate choice section.  Never thought about the grain, but if you use 6100 frets, I don't think it would be a problem.

dbw said:
I was thinking how cool an all-wenge, all-raw SG would be.  Gregg/Eric/John, can W swing the wenge body?  Will the center join hold up without a finish... will the glue stand up to sweat and humidity?  Or would it have to be a one-piece?   :help:

Yup.  We got wenge.

I have only heard of two instances where a glue joint failed.  The first was the gentleman that baked his guitar in the oven in an attempt speed up the drying of his oil finish and the second was from a guy that had a regular gig on the beach in the tropics.  He played in a cabana on the beach and between the sun, humidity and salt spray his guitars would only last about a year.  So..... presuming you don't use the guitar as a baking sheet or swim with it, you're probably OK.

Wyliee said:
dbw said:
I was thinking how cool an all-wenge, all-raw SG would be.  Gregg/Eric/John, can W swing the wenge body?  Will the center join hold up without a finish... will the glue stand up to sweat and humidity?  Or would it have to be a one-piece?   :help:

Yup.  We got wenge.

I have only heard of two instances where a glue joint failed.  The first was the gentleman that baked his guitar in the oven in an attempt speed up the drying of his oil finish and the second was from a guy that had a regular gig on the beach in the tropics.  He played in a cabana on the beach and between the sun, humidity and salt spray his guitars would only last about a year.  So..... presuming you don't use the guitar as a baking sheet or swim with it, you're probably OK.

Uh start to get worried, I live 100m from the beach...

NonsenseTele said:
Uh start to get worried, I live 100m from the beach...

Somehow I don't think you swim with your guitars.  IIRC, this guy was literally in the sand and none of their equipment lasted very long.  If you treat your guitars like that, I'll have to come down and confiscate them.  That's no way to treat a Warmoth!!!

Wyliee said:
dbw said:

Yup.  We got wenge.

Cool.  I'll add this to the long list of builds that I will do "eventually".  :headbang1:

Back