All Good Festival Report fun read for the Deadheads!!!

BigBeard

Warning:  I have described in detail what hippies do at shows in this post, so if that type of thing offends you, maybe you shouldn't read this!

Ok so I am back from the All Good Music Festival and Campout in Masontown WV!  I'm needing to thank everybody I met there for a real good time.  We did the 4 days of the festival..... After getting over the 'thursday is sold out hype' that was on their website, my wife found a ticket on Facebook, and I found one driving into the festival.  Turns out that they were not turning anyone away, since they simply couldn't, there is one way in and one way out, and it would have been impossible to make someone go back through the 4 hours of traffic on the dirt roads that lead up to the mtn.  So we arrived in Masontown about 5 pm and finally arrived at out campsite about 9pm with the Dark Star Orchestra starting their set.  We ran up to the stage area after stopping at will call for my wife's tix and went to enjoy the DSO show and the late nite DJ spinning records in some sort of electronica-trance-repeat that all the spun up kids seemed to enjoy.  This wasn't before we got scammed on some fake shrooms from a black guy.  I'm not a racially prejudiced person, but I learned this lesson the hard way once again, to never buy drugs from a black guy at a show, they aren't there to have a good time, they are there to screw hippies, at least the Philly G-thugs are there at all the shows selling fake shrooms and coke, bummer for us.....but...... we had some awesome neighbors that shared what they found, so Thusday wasn't a total wash.  We went to bed about 5 am after the stuff wore off a little.  Woke up about 8am to the sound of drums in the distance, walked out to the road and picked up some super killer headies, and puffed the morning away!  About lunchtime this kid called "Captian" showed up looking for ice and conversation.  We gave him both with a heated discussion of how Phish and their Phans have somewhat ruined this wonderful scene.... and he hooked us up with the best darned MDMA we ever took!  Thanks Captian!  We then got some REAL fungus and waited for the boys (Further as they are called now) to come on.  We unfortunately missed them open with After Midnight, and were walking in to Estimated Prophet, which was really cool with the Mu-tron III guitar tone ringing throught the mountains!  Just a Little Light, a Brent Mydland tune that has been out of the mix since Brent died in '90 was nice to see, and into Tennessee Jed, where my wife commented that, we were in fact in Tennessee!!!  Even though we were geographically in WV, we seem to call the scene Tennessee!  We held each other as they played the ballad It Must Have Been the Roses, and into Looks Like Rain, as the drizzling had stopped, perfect GD timing Bobby!!! Bob really went off on LLR too, one of the best LLRs I have ever seen and my wife's first one, she was tearing up! A smokin upbeat Brown-Eyed Women with Phil singing the "And it looks like the old man's gettin' on" line which of course had the crowd going nuts!!  Big Railroad Blues rounded out the first set in perfect GD form.... on to the setl break where we decided to get into the crowd a little tighter down front.  During the setbreak, we met these two guys who were there to see the boys and nothing else, just like us!!!  Great conversation and a little more chemical injestion got us right there for the second set!!  THe second set started with a solid Uncle John's Band, with us in the thick of the crowd about 25 feet from Phil who winked at my wife when she blew him a kiss and into a song called Celebration that was new to me.  Perfect time to head to the porta potties for a minute during a new song, and then into good old SUgar Magnolia!  Sugar Mag had even the non fans grooving and dancing around!!  They slowed it down with So Many Roads, a song that the Grateful Dead Played 15 years ago that night during their last ever concert in Chicago with Jerry.  We were wondering which song they were gonna play from that show, and So Many Roads was it!  I was choked up for it, then another new to me song called Colors of the Rain, which we decided to get a bite to eat during and find a spot that we could dance a little more without people being on top of us, so we ventured to the very top of the hill at the back of the concert area.  THe band went into a full Lady with a Fan and Terrapin Station which I'm pretty sure blew my mind.... Then Scarlet/Fire, which some little hippie couple saw us sitting down and offered us this stuff called 'Sassafrass' which I guess is the stuff they make Ecxstacy from.  Wow, what a free trip!!!  Got us right back into the groove and up and dancing!!  THey did a great Attics of My Life, and back into SUgar Mag/ Sunshine Daydream which left us hungry for more!!!  THey then came back out for their encore, which was Cumberland Blues into Ripple which I could not hear over the amazing fireworks that were going off!!!  Wow what a show.  So, we were totally satisfied with what we saw, and went back out to Shakedown Street where we unfortunately ran into some fake LSD, which was a real bummer, cause we saved it for Saturday night's Widespread Panic show, and nothing happened with any of the doses we bought.... Oh well, we went there to see BObby and Phil, and had a blast.  Figures that we would get scammed by people that were there not to see the Dead, but to see other bands.  I never had that problem at a strictly Grateful Dead function, but when you get the kids there trying to make a buck and get to the next String Cheeze or Lotus or whatever half rate hippie bar band that they love you get people tring to scam the deadheads!!  THey forget that without the Dead, this scene would not happen at all!!

All in all we had an "All Good" time there and met some really awesome new friends.

Took us another 4 hours to get off the mountain on Sunday, got home and slept till Monday!  We're feeling a lot better today now that our bodies are back to producing their own seratonin!!  I don't condone this type of drug use regularly at all..... but once every couple of years, these old hippies like to get some glow sticks and shake their 'enhanced' bones and have a good old day trip and roll!!!!

George Clinton and P-funkadelic was really good too, we saw them play, along with  Derek Trucks and SUsan Tedeschi.  Widespread Panic was good, even though the doses we took to see them didn't work.....bummer.  There was a wedding on Saturday which was neat. and believe it or not, I did not see one nitrous tank the whole weekend!!!! It's good to see that the Nitrous Mafia isn't welcome at this scene anymore, too many gangstas come out to sell nitrous.  I'm glad that they don't allow it anymore!! 

So I would say if you are interested in an awesome time with 30,000 of your 'Grateful' family, All Good is All Good!!!

This wasn't before we got scammed on some fake shrooms from a black guy.  I'm not a racially prejudiced person, but I learned this lesson the hard way once again, to never buy drugs from a black guy at a show, they aren't there to have a good time, they are there to screw hippies,

Very interesting. :dontknow:

I don't know... but you know... admitting to purchasing and consumption of drugs? :icon_scratch:

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
I don't know... but you know... admitting to purchasing and consumption of drugs? :icon_scratch:

Read some more of his posts.
He's real open about his drug usage.

Sounds like a good time (albeit a little heavy on the chemical intake). What I've always wondered, however, is whether or not anyone actually likes these jam bands while clean and sober... 

line6man said:

I'm real open about my love of tacos. What of it?

Luke said:
line6man said:

I've been known to be real open about my love of things that I love. Ha! You thought there would be something dirty written, didn't you! :blob7:

line6man said:
Luke said:
line6man said:

I've been known to be real open about my love of things that I love. Ha! You thought there would be something dirty written, didn't you! :blob7:

Bouncy things??

ErogenousJones said:
Sounds like a good time (albeit a little heavy on the chemical intake). What I've always wondered, however, is whether or not anyone actually likes these jam bands while clean and sober... 

Yep I like em clean and sober.

You gotta remember........ I get to do this once every few years..... and I like to do it right.  I don't get that high on a regular basis, I'd be dead.... literally.  I try to keep it safe and try not to take a ton of the stuff.  Honestly the wife and I split everything we bought, so we we were only taking half doses of everything.  And personally I think partying like this is way safer for my body than going out to a bar and getting drunk every weekend.  Again, we only do these fests every few years.  The last one was in '05........  But I can say, we had fun!!!!!

Yeah the chemical intake was a little heavy, haven't rolled in almost 10 years.....  And hey, why not admit that I took the drugs, I'm not under arrest and I'm definately not ashamed of taking them.  I had fun and they contributed to that!  We were safe about it.... drank lots of water, didn't take a ton of chemicals and we looked out for each other.  It wasn't like we didn't know what we were doing.  I'm not telling anybody to go out and do this, I'm just saying that we had a real good time and that was how we had said good time!!  All a part of the whole thing.

BigBeard said:
ErogenousJones said:

Yep I like em clean and sober.

You gotta remember........ I get to do this once every few years..... and I like to do it right.  I don't get that high on a regular basis, I'd be dead.... literally.  I try to keep it safe and try not to take a ton of the stuff.  Honestly the wife and I split everything we bought, so we we were only taking half doses of everything.  And personally I think partying like this is way safer for my body than going out to a bar and getting drunk every weekend.  Again, we only do these fests every few years.  The last one was in '05........  But I can say, we had fun!!!!!

Yeah the chemical intake was a little heavy, haven't rolled in almost 10 years.....  And hey, why not admit that I took the drugs, I'm not under arrest and I'm definately not ashamed of taking them.  I had fun and they contributed to that!  We were safe about it.... drank lots of water, didn't take a ton of chemicals and we looked out for each other.  It wasn't like we didn't know what we were doing.  I'm not telling anybody to go out and do this, I'm just saying that we had a real good time and that was how we had said good time!!  All a part of the whole thing.

:icon_thumright:

a couple videos from the festival!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sx7sMWIwwF0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sx7sMWIwwF0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gIu69o8GKuc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gIu69o8GKuc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qLmLWJWSCrg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qLmLWJWSCrg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Back