Advice on choosing loaded pickguard for blues sound

F

FredStarter

So, I am getting closer to pulling the trigger on my first build, a stratocaster style build. I am now working on deciding what pre-loaded pickguard to get. I am looking for something that will prioritize in terms of sound the following: (1) Blues, Americana, Rock; not interested in grunge or metal at all. As to brands I am looking at the following: Lace, Dimarzio, Fralin, Klein, Mojotone, or Seymour Duncan. I have narrowed it down to those as they are the ones I am most familiar with through my research. For this first time through I am looking for minimal soldering. I am leaning most towards maybe Klein (1969 Epic Series Stratocaster Pickups), or Fralin (some combination of Blue Special, Real 54's, and one of the following: Steel Pole 42 Strat, or Split Blade Strat). Klein would be stock, so returnable if I don't like the sound, Fralin would be Custom, so non-returnable).
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what brand/item would work best for my desired sound? Thanks!

If you’re still going to get it from 920d no matter what you get will work.  As to which one I suggest you listen to sound samples and pick the one most pleasing to you out of six your interested in.  After you get to your top two, all other things being equal it’s a toss up ...

Don't discount the SSL-2 Duncan Vintage Flat.    It may be logical to start with a set of three as long as it has RW/RP middle, but you might prefer a hotter bridge pickup.

For Warmoth compound radius fretboards, the flat-pole pickup is the way to go.  In my case I have Seymour Duncan SSL-2 with a 12" straight radius fretboard.  Duncan's SSL-2 are not strictly vintage, but they are clear but have good output.  The SSL-2 neck and middle are great for blues and rock.  These days I have Duncan SSL-2 in neck and middle.  I have Dimarzio HS-3 DP117 for the bridge position which has a full tone like a humbucker, but can be split to get more output and brighter tone.

Fralin "Blues special" neck and middle are warmer sounding than most others.  Fralin makes Hybrid stagger which is a really good alternative to flat stagger.  I prefer the vintage hot set because they are brighter and clearer.    I sold my Fralin Blues special set.  My Fralin vintage hot set is sitting in the draw.  They are good pickups, but they are a bit softer and low output compared to the Seymour Duncan SSL-2.  Most of the time I play humbucker guitars.

If its not too late to chime in I agree about a slightly more muscular bridge pickup. Its great to have the texture of a lower output neck and middle but I do like a somewhat punchier bridge.

I love the Frailin Blues Specials in neck and middle. I have a High Output in the bridge. Lindy is super nice to deal with.

Back