Aaron! New video series idea…

PFDarkside

Ok @aarontunes, I’ve got an idea for a video series.

“Bass Body of Tonal Discovery”

A bass body routed for:
1. P-Bass and Reverse P-Bass
2. Jazz Bass neck + Jazz Bass standard and Jazz Bass 70’s positions
3. Music Man in Neck, Sweet Spot and Bridge

Sure it’s basically a universal route, but imagine all the awesome content! How does the 70’s position affect Jazz bass tone. How does reverse P affect P bass tone? How does the sweet spot affect MM tone?

Can’t wait for the old timers to tell me how this is an awful idea!

Reverse P is the best P for sure. This would indeed be a cool video.

Aaron has said in the past that the bass video and other content just doesnt perform well but this type of video I would love to see because I am going to only have 1 bass to my 20 guitars so being able to hear the options would really help me decide on specs.

Yes, these are all cool ideas.

It is true that bass vids get far fewer views than guitar vids, and that's part of the reason I don't do more.

The other part is that while I feel I can write pretty good bass lines and perform them well enough for my own songwriting purposes, I'm not sure my live/unedited and decidedly mediocre bass chops could withstand the ruthless scrutiny/barbaric animal brutality of YouTube.
  • How many times can I play the same three bass lines before someone notices?
  • How long can I play bass with a pick before someone savagely ridicules me?
  • Will bass players tolerate reviews from a guy who can neither slap nor pop?
Yes, it's true that I've developed a pretty thick skin over the last ten years, but when an arrow does manage to pierce a weak place it still hurts a little.

aHR0cDovL2Q1N2NiYjM5YmUxMDg3NTUxMWE1LWQ5M2U0ODM3ZmFmYzJmYmMwOGUwYjhjYjFmMjNlOWVlLnI5NC5jZjEucmFja2Nkbi5jb20vcGFnZS9kMzZlNzkzNjZkNzJhZWU4ZTVjNDk0OTAyN2EyZGJlMi5qcGc=

I imagine that even someone like Charlie Berthoud gets hate from the weekend biker bar blues band bass players whose repertoire pretty much centers around "Mustang Sally."

Let's just send Davie504 some bass parts. He has a massive 13 million subscribers, somehow almost exclusively playing bass. (I'm only half joking about sending him some parts, I kinda think we should consider it)

Last edited:
Well Aaron, you could upload the video as "unlisted" and just post the link here on the forum. Only people here will ever see it and not the general public. We're all friends here, so I don't think you would get brutally ambushed.
👍

Let's just send Davie504 some bass parts. He has a massive 13 million subscribers, somehow almost exclusively playing bass. (I'm only half joking about sending him some parts, I kinda think we should consider it)

I've tried to reach out to him before, with no response. 13 million subscribers generates a lot of background noise.

FYI, I do have some ideas for bass vis already in the works, but it will be some time before they surface. Parts have to be built, etc....

Ok @aarontunes, I’ve got an idea for a video series.

“Bass Body of Tonal Discovery”

A bass body routed for:
1. P-Bass and Reverse P-Bass
2. Jazz Bass neck + Jazz Bass standard and Jazz Bass 70’s positions
3. Music Man in Neck, Sweet Spot and Bridge

Sure it’s basically a universal route, but imagine all the awesome content! How does the 70’s position affect Jazz bass tone. How does reverse P affect P bass tone? How does the sweet spot affect MM tone?

Can’t wait for the old timers to tell me how this is an awful idea!
What we really need is the Gibson Warmoth Grabber!
That’s right, the convenient sliding pickup lets you dial in the sound you want.
How long can I play bass with a pick before someone savagely ridicules me?
You’d be surprised how much music was made by a pick-wielding bass player. Play Motorhead covers and you’re golden!

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpeg
    IMG_0051.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 4
Back