Aaron new video idea

C

Cowbell Fever!

Perhaps you might do a video of the same guitar body using two necks, same wood. frets, nut material, but one is a straight headstock, and the other is a tiltback. Preferably a 25.5" Tele or Strat style body with singles and a humbucker.

:dontknow:

To discover if there is any difference in attack, and tone between the two.

Ah, so a tone shootout. I'll add it to the list.

Here is my prediction: You can hear a small difference in isolation, but not enough that I could differentiate one from the other in a blind test. And once you get it in a full mix....forget about it. :)

The difference in tone will only be in the open strings, right?

Is it possible to test the tuning stability as well?

I think it will affect more than just open string tone. Yes I know once you press down the fret is effectively the nut, nevertheless.

Besides the scarf joint, the biggest difference between Modern Construction and Modern Tiltback is that the latter does not have a Side Adjust Mechanism, which could effect tone across the whole neck.

That said, I don't think the difference will be Earth-moving. It wasn't in this video, anyway:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/i6XXcDiPcKc[/youtube]

Are there any shoot out vids on the tonal difference between a post mount like a gotoh wrap around, flat mount thrubody like an American standard, and a blocked trem like a fender American?

I'd like to see some tone wood body videos. Mahogany vs Mahogany w/maple cap: Roasted Alder vs Roasted alder w/maple cap and Basswod vs Basswood w/maple cap. Thanks.

rick2 said:
Are there any shoot out vids on the tonal difference between a post mount like a gotoh wrap around, flat mount thrubody like an American standard, and a blocked trem like a fender American?

I'd love to see a test of this, but I think it would be hard to do, as once the body is routed for a tremolo it's hard to mount any of the hardtail bridges. The wraparound bridge also needs a different neck angle AFAIK.

So you'd probably need to use different bodies for each bridge, and then it could be argued that any difference in tone is because of the different bodies (even if they are the same wood) rather than the bridges.

What might be easier to do without using different bodies would be eg comparing a roller tunamatic to a standard one, or different types of saddles on a Strat bridge (vintage bent steel, modern block-type, steel vs brass vs GraphTech string saver etc)

rick2 said:

Comparing 3 types of bridges would be an excellent start IMO.

Fender American Std Hardtail.
Fender American Std Tremolo (decked with 4 springs)
Recessed Gotoh T-O-M  with staggered strings.

Of course it will require 3 similar bodies to do this.  People can draw their own conclusions if the differences are due to the bridges or other variations.

Jeremiah said:
What might be easier to do without using different bodies would be eg comparing a roller tunamatic to a standard one, or different types of saddles on a Strat bridge (vintage bent steel, modern block-type, steel vs brass vs GraphTech string saver etc)

The saddle test is easy to do at home.  IMO there is an obvious difference between bent steel, solid steel saddle, and any of the GraphTech ones.

suggestion...  how about a shootout between a soft neck wood with a hard fretboard vs hard neck wood with soft fretboard ///  example bucote neck with ebony fretboard,  vs ebony neck with bucote fretboard ...  then perhaps if the shootout coud include 4 necks ... ebony ebony vs bucote bucote ...

i used bucote and evony for examples but ... or perhaps rosewood or mahogany etc.

I would like to see an actual shootout

Find a local car garage or something and send them a box, with no return address, with a BB gun + a note with an address and "high noon" written on it (pro tip: pick a Saturday). And that's where you'll be waiting, dressed like a cowboy, only with eye protection (safety first).

please film results 

make that a paintball gun instead of a bb gun. I think Aaron could pull off looking like a cowboy if he has that Jack Elam mean look on his face.

cowboy.jpg

Back