A vacation in Maui and a visit to a lumber mill

mgaut051

I apologize in advance for the blog-post like entry. But I have no blog. So there.

My family and I went to Maui for 10 days on well-deserved vacation. One of the things I like to TRY to do while in a new place is find a 1.75"x13"x18" piece of local lumber to bring back, to (who knows?) maybe make a guitar someday.

We had just finished snooping around Haleakala crater - what an amazing place!
524326_10150939750146784_308982926_n.jpg

It's many hairpins up and down the mountain. By the time we were done, it was 3:30 PM, almost time to start thinking about where we're going to have supper (with the kids and all). The kids were tired, my wife was tired, my mother in law was in the van...

I had read about this guy: http://www.ecomauikoa.com/eco_koa.html by Googling Maui / lumber / koa / mango or something of the sort... Seemed like a neat place, so I asked if we could go see - my wife agreed. Mistake #1. I plugged the name of the street into the GPS and it took us on a wild adventure in Hawaiian upcountry with very narrow very winding very one lane roads with very large roots acting as monumental speedbumps. Called the guy - he said I was way too high up and had to come back down.

What we should have done:

Picture3.png

What I ended up doing:

Picture4.png

My wife was less than impressed.

After many wrong turns, finally find the guy. He makes us park at the top of his property and walk down into this little inaccessible valley.

This is what we see:

photo5.jpg

Excuse the crappy cellphone. It was huge. Those front and back supports are full sized trees! The two jerry cans on the left give a little idea of scale.

He had a mill set up, and to the left of the picture, a huge military style tent.

There was lumber everywhere! And it was mostly koa... Mountains of it!

He was working on finishing a monkeypod-pheasantwood table:

photo3.jpg

and some benches (oh, is that all koa behind there?)

photo4.jpg

His scrap pile looked like my wishlist:

photo1.jpg

And his shorts pile was like heaven:

photo2.jpg

He had koa everywhere! But since I was already working on a Koa guitar for my dad, and wanted something different - I asked if he had some mango. I think he knew I would pay for Koa (much more expensive too) - I think he lied to me and said no. He salesmaned me into buying a gorgeous, undersized piece of curly Koa (which I'll put up as soon as I can...)

There's also this great magazine article about him:

http://www.mauitime.com/Articles-i-2007-04-12-173823.112113_Maui_Koa.html

Great guy - very interesting - has done many things and has many stories to tell!

Highly reccomend, although you need to be very specific and ask for end-sealing. His prices a market or greater, but his methods are worth it.

Now I'm in Denver for the week for a conference - at least they don't have any native hardwoods here!

Looking to go pay this guy a visit though:

http://www.tcwoods.com/

Pretty cool, haven't been to Maui, but I have been to Oahu. beautiful place, I'm so wanting to go back, it was awesome..But didn't think to get any wood while I was there, wish I had... :doh:

I lived on Oahu when i was in High School. Damn i wish i knew then what i know now. :party07:

pabloman said:
I lived on Oahu when i was in High School. Damn i wish i knew then what i know now. :party07:
I was only there for two weeks, but it was awesome. All the pineapple you could ever want... :headbang1:

Koa is spectacular ! I was amazed to see forests of it on the north end of the Big Island .

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Ok. So first, here's a pic of the koa. The defect upper right extends into the cutaway area of any body style. It's 2"+, so I'd love to make a one piece. I think I can either fill it with clear epoxy, black epoxy or dissimulate it with judicious pickguarding. OR I could resaw it into bookmatched top(s). Regardless. The color and curl were exceptional, so I figured I would make it work.

DSCF4986.jpg

So I just came back from my conference in Denver - fantastic one on Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
1100mi drive to Calgary, with the kids in back. This seems like it's becoming a theme, no?

Stop off on the way at http://www.tcwoods.com/.

What a great place!

DSCF4967.jpg

My little one on the right.

The following series is pretty self explanatory.
DSCF4969.jpg

DSCF4968.jpg

DSCF4974.jpg

Left to right: Cherry, Russian Olive, Walnut, 2 different species of Locust.
DSCF4972.jpg

DSCF4973.jpg

DSCF4970.jpg

So I considered some quilted cottonwood, some red elm, some spalted maple, and ended up with some sycamore - enough for 2-3 solidbodied, at a more than reasonable price!

DSCF4987.jpg

DSCF4991.jpg

DSCF4994.jpg

So that's that!

It's goofy what people consider to be "tone" wood, based on what Leo Fender could get cheapest. Alder is considered to be a low-rent cousin of cherry by woodworkers - they're like, "Huh?" And if you sawed up and made guitars out of ten different planks of alder, ten different planks of cherry, and ten different planks of poplar, there is no way anybody could pick out which was which by a sound test. Any three of those trees growing side-by-side are going to make guitars more alike than just a species pick. The European luthiers are having much more fun overall with wood.

StubHead said:
It's goofy what people consider to be "tone" wood, based on what Leo Fender could get cheapest. Alder is considered to be a low-rent cousin of cherry by woodworkers - they're like, "Huh?" And if you sawed up and made guitars out of ten different planks of alder, ten different planks of cherry, and ten different planks of poplar, there is no way anybody could pick out which was which by a sound test. Any three of those trees growing side-by-side are going to make guitars more alike than just a species pick. The European luthiers are having much more fun overall with wood.

I'm gonna echo Cagey's sentiment that "tone woods" are appropriately discussed in terms of acoustic guitars.  The degree to which the lumber will influence the sound of an electric solid-body is negligible (not necessarily non-existent, but negligible) compared to electronics, scale length, string gauge, amplification, all that crap.

Back