A Plea to the Warmoth Family (Update with Pix)

ocguy106

Hey All,

I don't normally ask strangers for help, but of all the places I go on the internet this is my favorite place and it is all because of the people it attacts and the disfunction family vibe. With that said I am trying to help out a life long friend.

I have a friend living in Vegas and have know her since I was 3 years old. Her mom and my mom were best friends up until her mom's life was taken by a drunk driver about 15 years ago. Anyway it seems ever since that time she has been dealt a bad hand one way or another and with the bad economy is currently struggling to make ends meet. She has a wonderful husband and 2 kids. Now her is the problem.

Although this is not life threating in anyway it still breaks my heart. She has a 17 year old daughter who maintains a 4.0. With their current situation there is no way she can attend her prom or continue on the school cheer team. Again I know that this isn't like giving to a cancer case or anything like that but this is a really good kid and I would really like her to be able to have the best highschool experiance possible regardless of her parents finacial situation. I am hoping I can help them raise enough money so she can buy a dress and attend prom and maybe even enough to continue cheer. They themselves are making sacrifices as well, so they aren't looking for a hand out. They are having garage sales and listing several things on CL. I just took this upon myself to see if there was anything I could do as well.

If anyone is willing to help anything at all is appreciated even a couple of dollars that would be great. As for prom it is going to be about $300 and cheer is an additonal $600 needed before May. I am not looking to get hundreds from people just anything.

I don't have access to her paypal so if anyone does contribute pls post here so I know. Also use the gift feature so that there will be no fees. In the notes you can leave a note. The girls name is Brianna and just let her know it is from Warmoth. If we can help her out I am going to have her take a picture on prom night all dressed up with a sign that says
"Thanks Warmoth"

Her parents Paypal is lvsatguy@yahoo

We can keep a total running in this thread I doubt it will happen but just in case it does I would like to cap it at $900 and no more so everyone knows this is on the up and up and not a scam.

Thank you all for listening and please keep this thread positive if you have anything negative at all to say just start a new thread

Thanks again for listening

Ken

I'm in @$10

During Katrina when my bandmates and I had nothing and were on the run - well before FEMA kicked out a check or the Red + a card, members of a car forum I was a part of pitched in money and food items without my knowledge and sent them to us.  Pay it FW, peeps.  It always comes back.

fdesalvo

thanks alot every little bit helps. The generosity of this board is always top notch. With just a little more help I am positive she is gonna make it to prom.

Thanks again
Ken

Damn straight!! 50 bucks from the Prom King of Campbell County High School. No one should miss their prom.
MULLY
remember, this was back in the 80's

70911645.jpg

WOW thanks alot mully. I wasn't expecting anyone would come out that strong. I guess being a teacher you have a soft spot for students. Glad to see your school was cool enough to elect a rocker for prom king....that didn't happen at my school ask me how I know!!!!

Hey all just an update and to say thanks to all that made this possible
Without the help of the members of this board Brianna would have missed out on her prom. Thanks again for coming together like you guys have done so many times in the past.

Ken

prom.jpg

I couldn't go to my high school prom because we couldn't afford it.  That's a real nice thing you did.  I'm sorry I didn't even see the thread until now. 

On another note though, why do people put up with these expensive proms that every high school seems to do nowadays?  When they're becoming cost prohibitive for the poorer kids' families, you'd think people would complain.  I teach at a charter school where are lot of wealthier families send their kids, and even some of my kids either can't or choose not to go because it is is too expensive, even though they want to.  Schools used to have them in the gym, and back then everyone could go.  It seems kind of unfair to rob the poor kids of their prom just so the more financially well-off kids can have it in the freaking Ritz Carlton (that's where my prom was, tickets were $150 per person... this was at a regular old public high school too, not a private school or charter school).  Kids have fun with each other where ever they are, it doesn't need to be that fancy in my opinion. 

ocguy106 said:
Hey all just an update and to say thanks to all that made this possible
Without the help of the members of this board Brianna would have missed out on her prom. Thanks again for coming together like you guys have done so many times in the past.

Ken

prom.jpg

That's awesome!

I agree with Hannaugh, though. Proms are a stupid waste of money. (And buying $600 dresses that you only wear for a night only furthers materialistic values.) Kids are pressured into paying hundreds of dollars for proms, but not everyone can afford that, and nor should they be expected to.

As a side note, I've only ever been to one dance in my life, and that was because the school required it. It was a fifth grade Waltz. We had ten partners, and basically spent three hours dancing around in a square to the same music. We were expected to dress nice, but my parents weren't about to waste money on clothing I'd never wear again, so my mom got me a grey suit at a thrift shop. I looked like an old man! :blob7:

Awesome!  I missed every dance in my HS b/c I was a very awkward looking geek.  I bloomed late and def don't regret any hardships I went, though.  I'm glad we were able to help.  She's a pretty girl and I'm sure whomever had the opportunity to dance with her felt special.

I didn't go to my senior prom either.... I couldn't find the right gown for my Harley....

Tickets for my prom were $90. I certainly didn't go. I probably could have gotten a date, but it was a waste of money. And it certainly wasn't at the Ritz.

Besides, crowded, wouldn't like the music, etc...

Back