a hundred and one teles

teleme01

admittedly am a fan,  and giving cudos to warmoth,  did a search for tele and came up with a hundred and one in the showcase,  includes walnut, koa, maple,  lots of candy to drewl over.

take 1 down, pass it around...

speakin of teles, I was at a show last weekend (the most recent one) and this grind core band dude was using a tele and i was like "whoa" cause its usually just all black dinky's (Jackson) or V's (any) so i thought it was cool. grindcore is real bad, tho, so i dont recommend it generally. but like also, having 'backpacked' thru other countries (actually it was a fanny pack i kept facing forward so is that 'frontpacking?'), its amazing how hard Americans mosh given we have to pay for health care.  one minute your in the pit catching a spinkick in the head, and the next minute mom's selling her house to afford ur MRI

BroccoliRob said:
its amazing how hard Americans mosh given we have to pay for health care.

My European metalhead friends who lived in the US described American moshpits as a "boring circle pit with one fat dude in the middle who's pushing around everyone else". If you want some real violence, grab your frontpack, get a solid travel insurance and come visit us  :headbang1:

alexreinhold said:
BroccoliRob said:

My European metalhead friends who lived in the US described American moshpits as a "boring circle pit with one fat dude in the middle who's pushing around everyone else". If you want some real violence, grab your frontpack, get a solid travel insurance and come visit us  :headbang1:

it really varies around the country, venue, and sub genre tbh. the usa of america is pretty big and varied

like, any hardcore show in FL with a front man wearing a hockey jersey is most likely going to: a. have terrible music, and b. have a dangerous pit (hate to say it, but skinhead crowdkillers aren't uncommon)

however, the pits at a so cal (short for so-cal California) punk show are pretty tame in my experience. too friendly, which is fine, I mean I don't want to actually die, but sometimes i want to THINK i might die, you know?

the best pits beleiive it or not, are in the #heartland at hole in the wall venues that play stuff like glitchcore and noisecore (think Melt Banana) where people are often too out of shape to last very long, so there is always fresh bodies rotating in and nobody's there too long enough to get seriously injured and the people are kind enough not to stomp u to death if u do fall. they'll pick you up and slap your back and hand you some grilled corn on the Cobb, its the best.

the best pit i was ever in in the europe was at a little club in Helsinki where a black metal (genre not skin color (or colour as they would spell it lol), i actually have seen a black black metal band and they ruled) band played to a room of only like 20 dudes  all wearing plastic halloween store viking battle armor and it was more like Battle LARP'ing (lemme know if i need to explain what that is) than moshing but still basically moshing when u think about it. i drank whatever the European equivalent of moonshine is out of a goat horn and we howled into the night (full dissclosure there may have been amphetamines in the euro-shine)

i been to several community jazz band (old folks) and never experienced this mosh pit you speak of... and never experienced a stampede either,  105 teles now,  i like the 3 piece ash for 168

BroccoliRob said:
alexreinhold said:
BroccoliRob said:

it really varies around the country, venue, and sub genre tbh. the usa of america is pretty big and varied

like, any hardcore show in FL with a front man wearing a hockey jersey is most likely going to: a. have terrible music, and b. have a dangerous pit (hate to say it, but skinhead crowdkillers aren't uncommon)

however, the pits at a so cal (short for so-cal California) punk show are pretty tame in my experience. too friendly, which is fine, I mean I don't want to actually die, but sometimes i want to THINK i might die, you know?

the best pits beleiive it or not, are in the #heartland at hole in the wall venues that play stuff like glitchcore and noisecore (think Melt Banana) where people are often too out of shape to last very long, so there is always fresh bodies rotating in and nobody's there too long enough to get seriously injured and the people are kind enough not to stomp u to death if u do fall. they'll pick you up and slap your back and hand you some grilled corn on the Cobb, its the best.

the best pit i was ever in in the europe was at a little club in Helsinki where a black metal (genre not skin color (or colour as they would spell it lol), i actually have seen a black black metal band and they ruled) band played to a room of only like 20 dudes  all wearing plastic halloween store viking battle armor and it was more like Battle LARP'ing (lemme know if i need to explain what that is) than moshing but still basically moshing when u think about it. i drank whatever the European equivalent of moonshine is out of a goat horn and we howled into the night (full dissclosure there may have been amphetamines in the euro-shine)

What you say actually makes a lot of sense. The friends I quoted are crazy metalheads, concert-buddies of mine and actually both lived in California for a few years. First they were excited to be able to see all those legendary concerts in the Bay Area but then quickly became super disappointed about how tame (or in their words "fake") the audience participation was. Being a huge soccer fan and having been to a range of sports games in the US, I could say the same about "fan culture" - we are more on the aggressive side I suppose.

On the flip side, our problem in Europe is that we haven't really produced the same level of quality when it comes to mosh-material. Sure, Kreator and Sodom are great but man, not nearly as powerful as the Big 4 + Anthrax + Testament + Exodus. And yes, we do have the Black Metal scene (especially TNBM) but that's more about watching goats being slaughtered on stage rather than actually moshing (that said, gonna see Watain and Abbath in a few months - can't wait).

Long story short. If you go to an American thrash show in Europe and you enter the pit, you won't return without bruises and you WILL fear for your life - that's a given. Speaking from a lot of experience (just before Covid, I went to the Slayer farewell tour twice - in Berlin AND in Leipzig).

@telem01 sorry for totally hijacking your post.

I went to a Rush concert in Glasgow 26 April 1988. I had bruises from fans crushing towards the stage, I moved back to a safe distance. That was enough for me so you won't find me at a mosh pit of any type  :laughing7:

alexreinhold said:
stratamania said:
I went to a Rush concert in Glasgow 26 April 1988.

That's 2 months and 2 days after I was born. So you're excused for bailing on moshpits ;-)

Wow...glad I am excused mosh pits.  :icon_thumright:

stratamania said:
alexreinhold said:
stratamania said:
I went to a Rush concert in Glasgow 26 April 1988.

That's 2 months and 2 days after I was born. So you're excused for bailing on moshpits ;-)

Wow...glad I am excused mosh pits.  :icon_thumright:
LOL. At the time of the referenced Rush concert, I had already been making a livi g as a musician then moved onto my second career.  Thank you, I’m old.  (My first rock concert was 1974)

TBurst Std said:
LOL. At the time of the referenced Rush concert, I had already been making a livi g as a musician then moved onto my second career.  Thank you, I’m old.  (My first rock concert was 1974)

I am old also, and my first rock concert was around 74 also. At the time of that Rush concert I think I was playing in three bands.

First time I saw a mosh pit was in 1981, a band called Mongoloid Idiots, I said what the heck is this pathetic excuse of a dance circle.  Never participated in one, never played in a band where it was encouraged. Who knew they would persist.  Didn't seem like an intelligent thing to me.  The punk ones tended to be gentlier.

Fütball riots in EU scare me about as much as i imagine seeing a wizard with a pistol would. a real life wizard is scary enough (because of his powers) but then you give him a gun, too? #wow #whoa

we've had some messy sports related riots here in usa but yeah overall they dont compare. its a weird thing to get destructive about, no?. its just sport, sports is just some people moving a ball around a designated area more skillfullly than the average person can. who gives af about the outcome? i just hope both teams had fun while i was having my $20 beer and $30 h-dog (short for hot dog) and injesting some other stuff we wont go into

bro, when i saw bal sagoth in minnesota i was amazed how chill ppl were. maybe they were too entranced by the soundscapes to mosh; that band is like reading a fantasy novel while listening to the soundtrack of a teletubbies sextape made by HR Gieger having an LSD nightmare. which is to say... pretty cool!

EU moshing is no joke. i mean wasn't the pit that killed the most people ever during a Pearl Jam show over there? how is that even possible? Pearl Jam is the AM radio easy-listening station of grunge. i woulda expected some gross band like hatebreed or pantera to have higher body counts. pantera is metal for dudes who failed an police academy psych evaluation and will kick you in the teeth for saying the confederate flag is racist. they're like if the decal you see on pickup trucks of Calvin peeing was a person (from calvin and hobbs, but not the hobbs from Hobbs & Shaw - that's a different thing). i just want to have a good time and not get crowdkilled.

however,

if i accidentally went to a pantera cover band show and the guitar players were using Teles, i probably wouldn't immediately walk out. That could be fascinating to watch. from the back of the club. where its safe

Edit:: i now have 666 likes so if everyone could never like any of my posts from here on out, I'd be eternally grateful :)

BroccoliRob said:
Edit:: i now have 666 likes so if everyone could never like any of my posts from here on out, I'd be eternally grateful :)

Anyone else have first-hand memories of the Satanic Panic of the 80's?

I remember attending youth activities where we were played backwards messages and warned about how dangerous rock music was. I could not wait to get home and spin all my records backwards!

Another time I bought my first D&D dungeon-master's guide. My parents immediately drove me back to Heritage Bookstore and made me return it. They were convinced it would lead me to Satan. There were already cracks in the spine, so we couldn't get my money back. I used the store credit to buy a copy of Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Aaron you just entered a chamber with an old chest of unknown contents, but are soon attacked by a giant pudding!

Spud said:
Mosh Pit=Stupidity

Does that mean you go to metal shows, stand in the back to analyze, comment on every note that's played, complain about the sound and get annoyed by the high volume? 

Live and let live man.

alexreinhold said:
Spud said:
Mosh Pit=Stupidity

Does that mean you go to metal shows, stand in the back to analyze, comment on every note that's played, complain about the sound and get annoyed by the high volume? 

Live and let live man.

Compared to you I am old and irrelevant. I do not attend metal shows. I do however, reserve the right to have an opinion questioning crowd violence, ritualized or not, in the name of music. People can and do get hurt (Altamont). If you enjoy that sort of activity, that is more than fine by me. I am not condemning the music itself, so chill brother.

Lastly, Alex if you were stranded somehow in my city, I would let you crash here, in my home for a night. Peace

Back