A couple of Soloist questions…

PFDarkside

I’ve been obsessing over this guitar that I stumbled upon with google image search. I’ve been thinking of replicating it (or close to it) for about four months now. I want to confirm a few things.

1. This looks like Roasted Birdseye, and even though Warmoth doesn’t offer this, I see the side adjust indicating a Warmoth neck. Could this be birdseye with tinted oil finish?

2. What is the standard edge radius for a Soloist body, and can they go any sharper like an Ibanez?

3. Any risk of doing a 720 mod on a guitar like this, specifically with a 24 fret overhang?

4. Veering a little bit out of left field, is the “recipe” for the lightest neck a roasted maple vintage/modern one with Sperzels? Is a modern with a tilt back headstock probably a bit heavier?

Attachments

• 5EF6F950-5544-4D58-A921-EB24E23EE63F.jpeg
    5EF6F950-5544-4D58-A921-EB24E23EE63F.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 45
  • F25D62C4-4CB4-4046-B6E7-519D10B1DCB3.jpeg
    F25D62C4-4CB4-4046-B6E7-519D10B1DCB3.jpeg
    787.6 KB · Views: 48
  • D582DE2C-F592-4467-B102-8BBEE401A1AD.jpeg
    D582DE2C-F592-4467-B102-8BBEE401A1AD.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 4016270F-7644-4FB0-9100-676EE1934FF6.jpeg
    4016270F-7644-4FB0-9100-676EE1934FF6.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 44
One other item, I’ve never played a 25 fret extension on a Fender pocket. Is access to these last frets reasonable given the body shape is a soloist? Does the contoured heel help at all?

1. It is may be a special order, warmoth may have some roasted maple blanks that can be ordered off menu. It could also be tinted oil.

2. I believe 3/16. And I don’t think you could order that feature custom.

3. 720 mod should be fine as long as you get the 24fret neck pocket reposition.

4. Neck weight isn’t something I’d worry about I don’t have an opinion here.

5. Fret access is great. It’ll be similar to a Charvel DK.

Per 1. The headstock shape is not one that Warmoth currently offer. There is one that is close to it, but not the same.

It could be a tinted oil finish.

25 fret extension

Assume that is a typo for 24.

Nothing else to add other than if you are using a Floyd nut, none locking tuners will be lighter.

Per 1. The headstock shape is not one that Warmoth currently offer. There is one that is close to it, but not the same.

It could be a tinted oil finish.

Assume that is a typo for 24.

Nothing else to add other than if you are using a Floyd nut, none locking tuners will be lighter.
I definitely need that high F. ;)

I was thinking that it was Musikraft since they do roasted birdseye and a hockey stick headstock, but the side adjust is what gets me. Warmoth is the only neck maker I’ve seen with it.

I was thinking that it was Musikraft since they do roasted birdseye and a hockey stick headstock, but the side adjust is what gets me. Warmoth is the only neck maker I’ve seen with it.
I’m pretty sure that’s the old warmoth hockey stock head. The musikraft ones are more accurate to the 5150 Kramer and the production ESP/Kramer heads.

I’m pretty sure that’s the old warmoth hockey stock head. The musikraft ones are more accurate to the 5150 Kramer and the production ESP/Kramer heads.

Yes, I agree that is what I meant when I said not currently available. I should have written no longer available :)

You could bend the 24th like Beckham, but then he may not even play guitar :)

Thank you @stratamania and @bruzanhd. That all makes sense and was where I originally started. In all likelihood that’s an older, Warmoth Pro/Modern neck. It’s definitely birdseye, either roasted as a one-off or possibly tinted oil.

The one thing I’m not big on is that huge hockey stick headstock, I’ll either do a Warhead or Arcade, so the vintage of the neck really doesn’t matter for me. It’s the combo of Graffiti Yellow, gold hardware and Amber neck that I never would have thought would look this good to me.

Do you guys think that I could get this Amber look on a 3A Birdseye maple neck with tinted oil or should I just go for a roasted 3A flame maple with a light oil for that color?

Well I think that headstock predates Roasted Maple. I’m thinking tinted true oil. The fretboard looks like a lighter toned Pao Ferro

I guess there’s no reason I can’t pick up some tru oil, dyes and a few pieces of maple to test it on.

Do you guys think that I could get this Amber look on a 3A Birdseye maple neck with tinted oil or should I just go for a roasted 3A flame maple with a light oil for that color?

Tru-oil or Danish oil with a shellac base to give it a tint should do it.

Here is one of my flame maple necks, shellac to give a little colour and then tru-oil. Birdseye will give a similar result.

build6 by stratamania, on Flickr

Last edited:
Answering question 2, I know they've done sharper body radii as a super custom option in the past. You might want to get a hold of customer service. Worst they can do is say no.

Back