720 mod with a Kahler flat-mount tremolo?

Greg

Hi,

I'm putting together an order for a Star body and Arcade neck with the 24-fret extension. I'd like to get the 720 mod to make the fretboard flush with the body. However, I plan on using a Kahler 2300 tremolo and was wondering if I would encounter any problems with the deeper neck pocket?

I'm also assuming that Warmoth will still route the body for a Kahler (if I send them the tremolo).

I know...I should just call Warmoth and ask :cool:

Thanks!

The closest combination you are asking about, on the forum in years is this build.

Based on that thread a 720 mod would probably be not the way to go with a Kahler.

Thanks for the reply and the link!

Whoa, so a shim was needed even with the standard neck pocket. Hmmm...maybe I'll use a Floyd for this build instead 🤔

Hey Greg

When I was putting my Kahler-equipped guitar together, Warmoth recommended a slightly angled neck pocket and I did take them up on that suggestion. The resulting break angle was probably ok, but I actually still added a shim to get additional height/angle at the saddle because at least one string fouled a saddle lock down screw (you can, or at least could, get flat topped screws to help ameliorate this issue).

A possible option with the 720 mod would be recessing the whole Kahler. My previous 'stunt guitar' was set-up this way though with a standard depth neck pocket, but unless you recessed the trem to lower than the height of the frame, which would probably look weird, you would almost certainly need to create a neck angle.

Fat Pete1.JPG

Good luck, love my Kahlers.

Edited to correct errors.

Last edited:
Hey Greg

When I was putting my Kahler-equipped guitar together, Warmoth recommended a slightly angled neck pocket and I did take them up on that suggestion. The resulting break angle was probably ok, but I actually still added a shim to get additional height/angle at the saddle because at least one string fouled a saddle lock down screw (you can, or at least could, get flat topped screws to help ameliorate this issue).

A possible option with the 720 mod would be recessing the whole Kahler. My previous 'stunt guitar' was set-up this way though with a standard depth neck pocket, but unless you recessed the trem to lower than the height of the frame, which would probably look weird, you would almost certainly need to create a neck angle.

View attachment 62080

Good luck, love my Kahlers.

Edited to correct errors.
Looks great! Is that Warmoth Candy Red?

Back