51 Nocaster pickup DC resistance

Toulouse_Tuhles

I'm wondering if someone can give me a reality check here.

Got in a new set of 51 Nocaster picks, and the DC resistance seem funny.
Stated on box: neck =7.2  bridge = 7.3
Measured with two different Fluke 117 meters:  Neck 7.53  Bridge 7.1
Seems odd that the neck pickup has higher resistance than the bridge, but... then again, its #43 wire as opposed to #42, and they wind these things via turns not to resistance.
Anyone got some input on this?

If numbers are close and they sound ok, don't worry about it. The only reason anybody publishes a resistance reading in the first place is because so many people ask for it. It's not that relevant outside of diagnostic purposes. All it would take is for the thousands of teet of wire involved to change diameter by a few microns for a few feet and the reading would be off, even though it had no effect on the sound. They may as well publish weights.

Of course true, but.... if I install 'em, I can't return 'em.  Toyin' with the return.  Dunno yet.  And, the rest of the parts, aka the wood, won't be in for a month or so. 

This set might sound better than the replacement set. You never know. Putting together guitars is a little bit of a crap shoot. You can predict generalities, but that's about as good as it gets. That's why there are endless discussions about the sound of woods, pickups,  finishes, strings, bridges, nuts, etc.

Well Cagey, I got 'em on Amazon, ordered up another set, and will evaluate one vs the other.
Sort of fearful of an interwinding short lowering the DC resistance.  Happens.  Happened to TWO sets of Rio Grandes, and a set of Fralins.  They got corrected though.  But the small companies will do that... I doubt the big F will once I install 'em.

At least you'll know.

I think you're right about small companies being more likely to turn out more inconsistencies. No machines/automation involved. I installed a set of humbuckers a couple years ago where the guy must have done some math to figure out how many ways to miswire/misconfigure one of them. Thought I was going nuts  :icon_biggrin:

I guess we'll see.  I've had Rio Grande pickups with semishort coils, also a Fender set of Texas Special Tele, had a bad bridge.  Rio Grande sort of made it right, and I got the pickups from Steve at Angela... good Lord that was an exercise in poor customer service.
The issue is not that the pickups are not the stated numbers, but that the bridge is lower than the neck, which it ought not be.  Could be a hot wound neck.  Could be a winding to winding short in the bridge.  When set #2 comes in, I'll know.
BTW, also got Rio Grande set with magnets reverse - essentially no output even though the coils read correctly, and also got one coil humbucker from them.  I'm pretty much done with their stuff.  Lindy Fralin has always produced good pickups - from my experience putting in at least a half dozen - but they're sort of expensive and Lindy like's them really bright.  My opinion at least.

Back