3A Maple flamed neck & fretboard unbox. Is this normal!?

Atomant

Hi guys, waited 14 weeks for my Warmoth neck build and it finally arrived.

Hope you guys be honest with me and let me know if this is suppose to be how a 3A flamed maple should look like?

Attachments

• IMG_2516.JPG
    IMG_2516.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2526.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2533.JPG
    IMG_2533.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 133
Welcome to the forum

Edit, below struck out as it has been pointed out that there is a satin finish on the neck which does not tend to pop the grain as a gloss finish might.

It is difficult to say from the photos as there is no finish which is what helps to reveal or "pop" the flame. One trick that is used would be to take some naptha and wipe a light coat onto the neck with a cloth. That will reveal what it is likely to look like when a finish is applied.

What other items do you have planned for your build in terms of parts and hardware etc?

Here is a link to a useful thread with lots of other links that should be helpful etc.

Welcome to the Forum

The headstock is a bit meh, but the shaft seem quite heavily flamed. You won't really see it without a finish though.

Agree with above. The headstock is a tad light on flame, but the neck looks glorious.
That's how it is with any natural product thouh, and it's what makes it unique.

One thing I forgot to mention before with regard to 3A, 4A, 5A as designations, there is not really a universally agreed standard of what each one is other than the more A the better. So what one company or person may refer to as 3A may differ from another's basis and what is felt to be in a particular category may be narrower or broader in definition.

As others have said, you won't see the flame without wetting the wood first.  Try Napha or lighter fluid on there you'll see it.  Don't use water  :)

dude's order documentation says he got the satin finish. folks round these parts seem to say that flattens out the figure.

there are plenty of flames, bro, u r just lacking the 3d effect a gloss would add

BroccoliRob said:
dude's order documentation says he got the satin finish. folks round these parts seem to say that flattens out the figure.

there are plenty of flames, bro, u r just lacking the 3d effect a gloss would add

Good spot...

stratamania said:
BroccoliRob said:

Good spot...

ooo yea - if that's the case you're kinda screwed unless you change the finish.  BUT!  it's possible to polish up the warmoth satin finish.  I managed to do this with two necks over a few years of playing them.  My advice is to pick a spot, and try polishing that up a bit.  See where that takes you...

I polished up a boring satin finish on a mahogany body.  Used Scratch x.

Back