24 fret neck on a strat

Heft

Hey,
A few days ago I ordered a 24 fret neck. Just now however, I realized that my strat doesn't have a 24'th fret reposition.
Am I in danger of the 24'th fret hitting the neck pickup? And is this something that can be worked around (either with a custom pickguard or some other way)? I know my strat is either a H-S-H or Universal route.
Also (just so I don't have to take the guitar apart), would a custom pickguard work with a H-S-H routed guitar and 3 single coils installed?

Thanks

Yes you are in danger of the neck being incompatible with the 24th fret.

You may be able to put single coils in rather than humbuckers in an HSH body. But probably not in a 24th fret reposition pickguard without needing to rout something.

But you need to take the guitar apart enough so you actually do know what you have so you can figure out what your options are.

I agree with stratmania stated with one qualification.  If your body has what is known as a bathtub route, then it could be as simple as just a different pickguard.  As he stated though, you will need to take the guitar apart to verify.

kucoyote said:
I agree with stratmania stated with one qualification.  If your body has what is known as a bathtub route, then it could be as simple as just a different pickguard.  As he stated though, you will need to take the guitar apart to verify.

Exactly I didn't mention a universal (bath tub) rout as that probably would be that simple.

Also, if it's underneath a pickguard a dremel could route out what you need.  Then get a new pickguard and cover it up, no one could tell.  You'll have to play with it a little but it's doable.

Heft said:
Am I in danger of the 24'th fret hitting the neck pickup?

I think if you measure any existing 21/22 fret guitars, you'll probably find the neck PU centered at the second octave harmonic, right where the 24th fret would sit.

Back