12 strings

Alfang

I really want to build a 12 stringer.  I select the 12 string ghoto bridge filter and get no results. 

What bridge selection on filters for the showcase can I use to select a body that will accomodate a 12 string bridge?

Can a regular hard tail body be fitted with a 12 string bridge?

Theres a couple nice 12 string necks in the showcase, and I want one, but not without a body

Hey Alfang, you are reading my mind!

I've been daydreaming about a 12 stringer project, and done some looking around on the net for parts when killing time.

The idea I have is to try and replicate the Fender Electric XII from the 60s, using Warmoth Jazzmaster body, hard tail 12 string bridge and 12 string neck.

I have found a rotary switch that looks like the one the Electric XII had ( at Angela's), and the only sticking point is the pickups.

The original had split coils like a P-Bass has, and the only ones I can see currently around are the G & L Z coils. But they are very hot, and I haven't seen them advertised anywhere as stand alone parts, they seem only available as OEM in select G & L guitars. I had thought of finding out if Seymour Duncan would do a pair of split coils for electric XII, but I'm guessing that if they could make them, they'd cost a fortune as a custom build.

I'd say you could get a Jazzmaster body from Warmoth routed for the 12 string bridge, maybe a swimming pool rout underneath, then buy a pickguard with no pickups routed, and rout the pickups in yourself. Looks do-able to me.

jackthehack said:
I think you'll need to custom order a body with that bridge route.
I don't see why he'd have to custom order a body, the 12 string necks will fit any other body. It appears to me that he would just have to find something in the showcase that has not been drilled  or routed for any particular type of bridge..

I was really hoping someone would tell me that a standard hardtail body would work.

Thanlks all for the input, I think a 12 string TOM would be cool too

Alfang said:
I was really hoping someone would tell me that a standard hardtail body would work.

Thanlks all for the input, I think a 12 string TOM would be cool too
I don't see why a standard hardtail body wouldn't work. It even says in the description of the bridge that only 6 strings go thru the body.... :dontknow:

Back