Neck Profile Sample Chunks.

Thanks for all of the really helpful responses. While the original message 2 years ago only garnered 2 responses, it seems from all of the recent responses that this idea is something that should be peddled as a campaign over at Kickstarter.

In the last 3 years since I have purchased over $4,500 of Warmoth bodies and necks, and have been able to build very nice guitars. Many thanks to all of those that supplied a lot of helpful responses to anything that I may have had questions about, or thru other responses that I found searching the site.

So Obviously I have no idea of what the costs would be to the company but.....

Has Warmoth ever considered making little 3" cutoffs of all the different neck profiles they offer as samples?
You could even sell them for like $15 - $20. This would be a great way for builders to be able to get a profile in their hands to see how it feels. No frets, just a generic piece of fretboard thickness wood on top, nothing fancy. I understand this still wouldn't give you a 100% representation of the profile since you really gotta play on the neck to have 100% idea of the feel, but it would absolutely give most a much better idea of what profile would be better suited for them.
I'm thinking an alternative option already exists, which is to go into a local music store that has a decent variety of makes/models, and spend some time playing guitars that feature each of the neck shape types. For the most part, Warmoth neck shapes are not unique to Warmoth. Instead, most are modeled after popular neck shapes found on brand name guitars.

While I'm at it: dudes referring to their guitars as "she". Yuck, no, never.
How do you feel about naming instruments? I've had people ask if I have names for mine, and I've always replied that it never felt important & I never considered it - but I don't mind knowing about historical instruments in that way, including famous guitarists' axes, especially if it's a really unique tone like the Pearly Gates LP.

How do you feel about naming instruments? I've had people ask if I have names for mine, and I've always replied that it never felt important & I never considered it - but I don't mind knowing about historical instruments in that way, including famous guitarists' axes, especially if it's a really unique tone like the Pearly Gates LP.
I name all of mine "Guitary Guitarface" keeps it simple.

No disrespect intended, but I think a Warmoth (or any custom guitar) customer should already know what neck profile he/she likes from experience. The inexperienced need to go to Guitar Center and actually play guitars with different neck profiles.It actually took me many years to discover what I truly like.

This post is to replace a novel that I ended up writing and deleting that asked many more questions about logistics, inventory, accounting, taxes, shipping, and what hasn't been talked about yet: construction. I know we're still just living in the "wouldn't it be nice if...." fantasy realm so I want to avoid trashing that as much as possible, though I'm pretty sure I'm failing at it.

My opinion: this is fraught with risks that aren't being considered, not the least of which being potential intellectual property violations of Warmoth's product specs, some of which are based on licenses WM has negotiated with companies way bigger than them or us. And that's just a guess on my part, having no access to WM's contract vault.

But I am not a stranger to the very delicate dance of IPs. I'll leave this with two words to explain how I know this: 501st Legion.

(see, BroRob? You're not the only nerd here ;) )

I like the sample necks 'concept' but I agree with those who maintain that it's a wildly impractical concept.

And I have to say that I took a bit of a chance on my recent "Wizard" neck order, (as I mostly own medium-to-chunky necks) but it's FRIGGIN AWESOME, and I prefer it to the Ibanez version (y) (y)

Back